Sunday, September 1, 2013

Quinoa and Chickpea Roasted Stuffed Peppers



This is the perfect time of year to make stuffed peppers. They are in season and plentiful at the farmer's markets and very reasonable right now. I purchased 3 large green peppers for $1.00 ! I then stuffed the peppers with an adapted version of  my quinoa and vegetable Chinese style recipe making an easy and tasty stuffing. I added chick peas to the original recipe and eliminated the Bragg's amino acids ( soy sauce flavor, but healthier).

 I'm focusing on planning vegetarian/vegan holiday meals for Rosh Hashana ( Jewish New Year Sept 4) which we celebrate for two nights and two days ( Wed at sundown until Friday at sundown. ) That means a holiday and company meal Wed night, Thursday night, and Friday lunch..

I will only be hosting the Friday lunch this year for my immediate family. My sister in law Danielle will be hosting the dinners, and I will bring a vegan dish and maybe some wine.. I think these peppers will be a big hit.

These stuffed peppers are easy to make:

First - I started with 6 green peppers ( for the holiday I'll probably use red peppers) , sliced off  and saved the tops, cleaned out the insides of the peppers, sprayed them with coconut spray oil, and placed the peppers and their sliced off lids on a cookie sheet that was covered with a piece of parchment paper. I roasted them at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes,  until they were soft and done. I took them out and allowed them to cool.


Second: I made the easy stuffing. It calls for 2 cups of all the vegetables ( eggplant, zucchini, onion, , sliced white mushrooms, 2 cloves of garlic-and 1 cup of cooked quinoa ( I always make extra to have some on hand to add to recipes)  and 1 cup cooked chickpeas- recipe below)

Third: I stuffed the peppers with the above vegetable filling and arranged the 6 peppers in a Pyrex pan..
( There was stuffing left over, so I put it in a casserole dish)


Serve the stuffed peppers immediately while hot or warm them up before serving...

This recipe is gluten free and vegan and since it contains both chickpeas and quinoa, it is a high protein vegan entree. If you are looking for an allergy friendly, vegan and parve recipe that makes a nice presentation and is filling, this is it!! 

Ingredients:
2 cups eggplant, chopped
2 cups zuchinni, diced
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cups of mushroom, sliced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked chickpeas
salt and pepper to taste
Trader Joe's 21 salute ( 21 herbs without salt)
Olive oil spray

Directions:
Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil spray in a large skillet. After about 5 minutes add the eggplant and zuchinni and cook for 5 more minutes and stir frequently. Add the mushrooms and saute until all vegetables begin to soften. When done add quinoa and chickpeas, stir and cook about 5 more minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs.

Fill  green peppers and arrange in a rectangular or round Pyrex. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Heat up and serve.

May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
Like my recipes? I post lots more ; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

Please leave a comment so I can be  introduced to your blog . I will visit you and  I usually follow on G+, Twitter, and Pinterest. I would love if you followed me as well Follow me as well : Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love all of the vegetables you are using for stuffing. It sounds delicious - I have a bunch of peppers still growing and I was thinking about what to do with them (I've diced and frozen more than we need). Thanks for sharing at the BBQ Block Party.
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judee, Love the stuffed pepper recipe, because it contains many tasty, nutrient rich veggies, quinoa, and chickpeas. Wow. Might use it with red pepper for the holdays too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly