Friday, October 4, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup ( W.W.)



Weight Watchers Soup Recipes


Butternut squash and fresh rosemary are a delicious combination that create an inviting flavor in this easy autumn soup. I love soup all year, but especially in the fall when the weather starts to become a little cooler and all the beautiful orange vegetables start to appear at the farm stands ( winter squashes and pumpkin).


Low in Calories
Homemade soup helps me lose weight, especially a Weight Watchers friendly recipe. I usually don't eat Butternut squash soup because it is paired with sweeteners,cream and apples; this soup is not, and it's lower in calories! It is savory and is made with onions, carrots, and garlic.. I first tasted this nutritious soup at my sister in law Danielle's house . For me, it was love at first bite. The soup is soothing, absolutely delicious, and filling. Oh! it's only 1 point plus on Weight Watchers per serving!

Homemade soup helps me maintain or even lose weight..
Here's  how. Because it's filling, high in nutrients and fiber, it's a perfect starter to help curb my appetite before I eat  lunch or dinner. Because it is low in calories , I can enjoy 1 cup of this satisfying soup for just 1 Point Plus.

Homemade soup can be a great strategy for weight loss.
By the time I cook dinner,  I am usually fairly hungry, and I find that I end up snacking while cooking! Without a bowl of homemade soup handy, I usually consume a  large handful of rice crackers with some dip or maybe something even more fattening. I've decided that it's healthier for me and my weight to have a bowl of low calorie vegetable filling homemade soup always available.. After I take a few minutes to warm up and relax with a  nice bowl of soup, I can then start to make dinner without snacking , and I usually eat less  . it's a strategy that works for me. (I keep repeating the word homemade because store bought and canned soup are very very salty and not a good choice, especially for weight loss. )

 I  make a large pot of soup on the weekend and freeze some for other times.I always have a variety of soup in my freezer. Sometimes I only have to make soup every two or three weeks. In a pinch, I make a  Carrot Ginger Comfort Soup that  can be made in about 15 minutes. Other times I use the crock pot and make Vegetable detox soup that is 1 point plus on WW.

Fall is here! Butternut squash is in season and  plentiful .. pin this easy recipe for later and enjoy..

Ingredients
3 cups of cooked butternut squash ( I cut mine in half, scoop, and steam in steamer basket, then peel)
1 cup of raw carrots, sliced
1 and half cups of onions, diced
4 cloves of fresh garlic, pressed
2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, skinned off the stem
4 cups of vegetable broth
2 cups of boiling  water
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste or 1 tsp of 21 Salute ( 21 salt free herbs from Trader Joe's)
optional: I love this mild soup just the way it is; however, if you want a more exotic flavor add 1 tsp of curry powder or graham masala to give it a kick! But I don't ..
I adapted this recipe from a curried butternut soup I saw on a blog called Our Neck of the Woods. 

Directions:
Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil spray or 2 teaspoons of olive oil  on low. Add the cooked butternut squash, uncooked sliced carrots, and rosemary. Saute for a few minutes. Add  the broth and the boiling water. Cook on low until the carrots are tender. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to blend. Add salt pepper to taste.

cooked butternut squash in chunks
I cut my squash in half , scoop out seeds and steam in a steaming basket.
When cool, I remove the skin easily and chop. ( Use a sharp peeler like this one to peel with no struggle in under a minute,)  OXO Good Grips Y Peeler- I love my peeler
rosemary in a pot growing on windowsill
My Fresh Rosemary is still growing outside.

pumpkins and squashes

This savory butternut squash soup is just one of the low calorie but nutrient dense soups that I make.

I also make the following soups.


What healthy weight loss strategies work for you to help curb your appetite or fill you up so you can still lose or maintain your weight? How do you peel butternut squash easily?
I love your comments... Please leave one and make my day!!

May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals.




Pin It

27 comments:

  1. Rosemary is such a great pairing with the squash--this looks totally satisfying. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum. I just happen to have a Butternut Squash sitting on my counter. I also shared your blog link with my Recipe Exchange. Dropping in from Michelle's See Ya in the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. I really appreciate it. When you make the soup, add a little cinnamon for a little different taste.

      Delete
  3. This looks really tasty. I've got a couple butternuts laying about, I can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a basic soup.. you can add cumin for a little twist that tastes great.

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious and filling! Congrats on your weight loss too! Thank you for linking up to Saturday Night Fever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy! So ready for some good soups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. Pinned to a group soup board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your link on Tuesday's Table and I'm so excited to get some squash from my CSA tomorrow so I can try this. It sounds so good I think even my toddler will try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like butternut squash soup, I just have a hard time wrestling the squash! I usually opt for rosemary with butternut squash.

    Big believer that soup tastes better the next day or out of the freezer.
    Thank you for linking, Judee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love butternut squash but I have never tried making soup and I have two sitting in my basement right now! It sounds delicious and I love the addition of Rosemary for the seasoning and some carrots. Thanks for sharing on the Four Seasons Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We grow butternut squash in our garden and this will be a perfect recipe for us to try. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fun weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe sounds like something my hubby and I would go for. Filling and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your soup looks so light and I love the rosemary. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soups can be so healthy and filling, perfect for when you are trying to eat healthy. Your recipe sounds delicious. I like the addition of the carrots and rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love squash, I love soup, and I love squash soup! This looks amazing - oh, your house must smell so good while this cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! Wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your recipe for Butternut Squash Soup and it was the #1 viewed link from last week’s Saturday Spotlight blog hop. It's been featured on this week’s blog hop which started at 9pm EST on Friday, and was PINed to my Pinterest page. Thanks so much for linking up! Looking forward to seeing what you have to share next time.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks so delicious. I especially love the lack of extra creamers and sweeteners. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  18. G'day! Your soup looks lovely for a cold winter's night! Love the combination!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Thanks for sharing at the Foodie Friends Friday No Rules Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Soup is a great way to lose weight. Terrific healthy soup. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday,

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM, my husband LOVEs butternut squash, this recipe will be great for us! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great! Can't wait to see what you link up this week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have so much rosemary, love a recipe where I an use some. Sorry it has taken so long to get here. I went out of town then came home and have been in bed sick and hoping to kick this soon. Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great resource this post is, Judee, with all the links to those wonderful soups! And I love your Butternut Squash Soup - it's warming, comforting and delicious too, especially with the lovely Rosemary. Pinned to my soups board on Pinterest. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Hop. Hope to 'see' you again this week. The Hop is open now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the butternut and rosemary combination, this looks awesome! I really appreciate you sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a safe and enjoyable weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly