Friday, February 28, 2014

How to Cook Beet Greens

                         
                       beet greens


Beet Greens??? 
Yes, you can eat the greens of beets and they are tender, mild, and delicious. Where do you buy beet greens?????

The only way I've ever seen beet greens has been attached to organic beets. I'm embarrassed to admit that for years I didn't know that you could eat the greens, and I used to cut them off and throw them away!! 

Who knew the green tops were not only edible, but are really delicious and nutritious. They contain a good amount of Vitamin A , Beta Carotene and Lutein ( all excellent nutrients for healthy eyes) . And these mild tasting greens are low in calories.

So, Now when I buy beets, I look forward to also eating the greens.

 To prepare the greens,  I simply wash them, chop them, and saute them in a little olive oil spray. They wilt quickly and are ready in minutes. I don't even season them; they don't seem to need any seasoning. They are tender and mild tasting, and like spinach, they cook down to 1/4 their original size.

With just one purchase, you will have 2 vegetables for the price of one: The beetroot and the beet greens! I only buy organic beets for 2 reasons.
  •  Regular beets ( as opposed to organic)  are usually Genetically Modified (very very  scary) see article.
  •  Secondly-  organic beets are free of most pesticides.
So next time you buy beets, buy organic and save and saute the beet greens. It makes sense and they are a real treat!



Additional Beet Recipes:


   This is one of my favorites. I give an easy and mess free cooking method and
   a simple recipe for the oranges and beets in this post. 
       
Beet and Orange Salad

 

Once you turn on the oven to roast vegetables, you can dream up all kinds of mixtures. One of my favorites is this sweet combination of roasted acorn squash, cranberries, apple, and beets. Perfect anytime of the year, but especially in the winter or fall when acorn squash is plentiful.
                      Winter Squash and  Roasted Beets 


roasted beets and acorn squash
.
Finally, beets make a delicious cold or hot soup. Mixed with sour cream or Greek yogurt, this rich red soup turns a delicate hue of pink.,, borscht is the soup of longevity according to my Russian ancestors who lived into their 90's and my grandmother lived to 107!! all Eating borscht- a traditional Russian soup.


beet borscht
Homemade borscht

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

13 comments:

  1. it is 'sugar beets' that are genetically modified so it's best to find palm sugar. sugar beets are a completely different thing than regular beets... but regular beets are not genetically modified. it is best to buy organic and locally grown organic produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beets, but have never cooked the greens. I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had beets before in salads but have never prepared them myself. I feel pretty inspired to try them after your post! I'll have to figure out exactly how I want to prepare the beets, but at least I know what I'll do with the greens! We have a healthy living link up - tips and tricks Tuesday - from the looks of it, you'd have a lot of amazing things to share with us. We'd be so happy to have you join is and link up anything you think people would find helpful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love beet greens! Some stores and even farmer's market vendors cut them off. They're throwing away the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had beet greens but I do like beets. I will have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love beets and beet greens. You are absolutely right, they taste good on their own and need very little seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy eating beet greens. I add a little apple cider vinegar at the end to livens them up a little. I'm stopping by from the Unprocessed Fridays party. Happy to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad grows beets and thought that he'd experiment and give cooking them a try. He's still alive! Lol!
    Thank you for sharing. ..especially the nutritional info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only beets I have had are the pickled ones like my mom and sister make. I will have to let my sister know about this recipe. Thank you for sharing it on our Four Seasons Blog Hop. Pinning Now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love beet greens... Many people in our CSA cut them off, and I spend a lot of time making speeches about how wonderful they are - and going home with bags full of their discards! (The cooked greens freeze well...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. G'day! Always a helpful hint and tip!
    View as party of this week's Foodie Friends Friends St Patrick's Day GREEN Recipes Party!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never meet a green I didn't like... I eat the tops to everything. Glad you brought this to foodie friday... lots of folks don't know how tasty greens are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Judee,
    This is a great post,we just love beets! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly