Monday, March 24, 2014

Bamia -Best Way to Cook Okra- not slimy



skillet with cooked okra and tomato sauce

If you think you don't like okra, think again.
This tasty Middle Eastern way of making okra is delicious and never slimy.

 Bamia is one of our family favorites.  We make it as a side dish that we eat over rice. (Scroll to the bottom of the page for the recipe or read on)

Okra is naturally gluten free and very nutritious. It's a good choice for those with digestive problems since it cooks up soft and tender.
Pin It
 
"Bamia" An Old Sephardic Family Recipe
The first time I ever tasted "Bamia" was at my husbands parent's house.  It was in the 1970's, I just got married, and I was 21.  I learned how to make and eat fresh okra from my mother- in- law, Toni, who is an excellent Middle Eastern cook. 


I Picked Okra in the Fields at My CSA Farm

After spending many afternoons picking okra at my CSA, and getting scratched by the woody thorny branches all over my arms and legs, I've decided to buy okra in the supermarket fresh or frozen. I like the frozen whole pods the best. The Middle Eastern brands package really small pods, cleaned and ready to cook . The okra is usually just the perfect size.

 
Bag of frozen okra on counter top


















Okra Has Excellent Nutritional Benefits 
In addition to the interesting taste, okra has many nutritional benefits. It is very high in Vitamin K,  low in calories,  and provides substantial amounts of fiber and manganese. It also is loaded with antioxidants that are so important to protect against the rays of sun exposure.  It's a great vegetable to work into your menu to boost vitamins and antioxidants while providing some variety to your meals.

If you have never made okra, now is the time to try.
  • Look for baby okra in the frozen case of your supermarket or in an ethnic food store, especially a Middle Eastern stores or kosher markets.

My Notes: 

  • My mother in law's recipe is typical of many Middle Eastern Bamia recipes, but she adds a secret ingredient unique to her recipe.  She adds dried apricots to her sauce. It is a variation which makes the sauce little sweet and savory.

  • My mother in law explained to me that the small okra pods are the tastiest. The large pods get hard and coarse and are not ideal for cooking. When you buy frozen, look for baby okra.
Ingredients for Bamia

1 14 ounce bag of whole pods baby okra 
1/4 vegetable broth for sautéing
3 large cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
14 ounces of tomato sauce with garlic and herbs
juice of a half large lemon
4  dried apricots (whole)
1/4 cup of water in beginning and additional if sauce cooks down
Optional: sauté in oil 

Directions

Pour vegetable broth in a large skillet. Add okra,  and cook on medium heat for a few minutes until okra begins to turn color. Add garlic and mix through the okra as it cooks. Add tomato sauce, juice of the half lemon, and dried apricots. Stir and allow to slowly cook over very low heat for about 40 minutes covered.  If the sauce looks like it is cooking down add the water and stir. Serve over rice as a side dish.
*** cooking time depends on size of the okra- if very very small like in the pictures , cook for 25 minutes
****if you prefer to use fresh tomatoes, cut up 4 medium tomatoes and whiz in blender with 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. Whiz quickly and use as a sauce instead of the tomato sauce.

Frozen baby okra


okra, vegan, bamia
okra with the fresh chopped garlic

Cooking slowly on a very low flame with the tomato sauce- add 1/4 cup water if needed
 Bamia baby okra recipe


13 comments:

  1. I am saving this recipe. Thank you. I have been looking for a way to cook the okra I plan to grow in the garden this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Judee my comment disappeared - must have hit enter by mistake! Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! My boyfriend LOVES okra and I have just started to experiment with the stuff. It's a tricky veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never cooked okra, though I love to eat it. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okra one veggie my hubbys family loved

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting recipe! Sounds really good...I love okra, and my family has always boiled it, fried it, or made it into okra and tomatoes. We've always just added a bit of vinegar to cut the sliminess. Saving this one to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the longest time, I wouldn't touch okra. I've found that my favorite way to eat it is smothered with tomatoes. Roasted is good too.

    I like the idea of adding some sweetness from apricots. Thank you for sharing, Judee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judee,
    We grow our own Okra and just love it. Okra and tomatoes, one of our favorite summertime dishes. Makes me hungry just looking at your dish. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was married at 19, in the 70's and my vegetables also can out of a can...back then I think you could buy 5-16 oz cans for a $1.00! lol To this day I can't eat creamed corn! I have never made okra and have eaten maybe once. I will need to give it another try:) Thanks for sharing on Four Seasons Blog Hop! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up hating okra because it was so slimy, that's why I am so glad you shared this this healthy and delicious okra recipe with us at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! We will definitely enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the caption. "Not slimy." =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a question please. What are you doing that causes it not to be slimy? Is it the slow cooking or the use of small okra or adding the tomatoes? Sorry, I need details. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason that it is not slimy is because I did not cut the okra. We use baby okra and don't cut it- really I don't know but it's my mother in law's recipe and it is never slimy

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly