Monday, July 14, 2014

Asian Peanut Coleslaw

Super coleslaw with peanuts and thai dressing


Need a salad to bring to our next party? This Asian Peanut Salad looks and tastes spectacular. My friend Melissa is an amazing cook. We attended a BBQ last Sunday, and she brought this healthy delicious salad. It's an Asian version of coleslaw with peanuts, peanut butter dressing and edamame. It tastes sensational and is easy to assemble.

It's gluten free, grain free, vegan and has a wonderful flavor that everyone seems to love. In addition, it looks beautiful and inviting. Another friend brought this to a party and there was not one morsel left.

After one bite, I began to take pictures and am sharing the recipe because it was such a big hit with everyone.I loved the crunchiness of the peanuts and the Asian spices.

Very Easy to Make

The salad itself is easy to make. You can start with a basic bag of coleslaw  mix of green and red shredded cabbage and some shredded carrots that is available in most supermarkets (or make your own  in the food processor).add a few red peppers, scallions, and cucumber and you have almost the full salad base.

The dressing is made quickly in the blender and is fresh and spicy. As usual, I don't like things that are "hot",  so I will leave out the hot pepper flakes.

Cabbage is full of fiber, cancer protective antioxidants, and vitamins. It's a great choice for a healthy
addition to any meal.
                        thai dressing over peanut coleslaw

Melissa said it was her husband Stu who actually found the recipe online. It was from a blog called Once Upon A Chef. Jen posted lots of step by step pictures and has a fabulous blog with lots of fresh real food. She is worth visiting. In fact,  I just started to follow her. Other than leaving out the red pepper flakes and cutting out the sugar, I just made some minor personal taste adaptations.



Thai Crunch Salad with Peanut Dressing

Ingredients

For the Thai Peanut Dressing

  • 1/4 cup creamy almond butter or peanut  butter
  • 2 tablespoons  rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (2022 update: I'll leave it out!)
  • 1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed
  • 1-inch square piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
  • optional: 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
  • salt to taste

Ingredients For the Salad

  • 4 cups chopped Napa cabbage or shredded coleslaw mix 
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • red bell pepper, very thinly sliced into bite size pieces
  • 1 small English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
  • optional: 1 cup cooked and shelled edamame 
  • 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions

  1. For the dressing, combine all of the ingredients except for the cilantro in a blender and process until completely smooth. Add the cilantro and blend for a few seconds until the cilantro is finely chopped. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
  2. For the salad, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. If serving right away, drizzle the peanut dressing over top and toss; otherwise, serve the dressing on the side so the salad doesn't get soggy.

 I love your comments, so please leave one. It introduces me to your blog, and I love to stay connected . I will visit and follow you on Twitter and G+ etc. 
Lets stay connected: follow me on Pinterest,  Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter too

This post may be share some of the following Weekly
blog carnivals



Will be also shared on
SouperSundays

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

33 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. I love how colorful and beautiful it looks

      Delete
  2. love the colours in this dish. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. summer vegetables are really colorful . Hope you try it.

      Delete
  3. My boyfriend loves peanuts and I love the beautiful colours of this recipe - cant wait to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We added some extra peanuts to make it even crunchier. It was delicious.

      Delete
  4. Yum!! This is a perfect time of year for a tasty salad as a meal!! And I love the Thai influence...sounds delicious ...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm making salads like this. Why turn on the oven in this heat. A salad is perfect!

      Delete
  5. Love anything with peanut butter! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I remember my mom giving me a Thai salad recipe and loving it. I think it include Napa cabbage. I can't wait to try yours!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe at Fabulously Frugal Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious summer salad. Thank you for sharing this with Foodie Friends Friday party this week. Pinned/shared.

    We look forward to seeing you again soon with another delicious recipe.
    A FFF co-host,
    Joanne/WineLady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judee,
    I just love your Asian Peanut Coleslaw, the flavor will be fantastic! Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, I always look forward to your visits!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog-hop, pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great salad recipe. This is quite a unique idea with putting in the Asian peanuts. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of the colors and flavors in this salad/slaw. I could practically make a meal out of it. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds amazing! I think I've had something similar at Sweet Tomatoes (or somewhere similar) so I'm stoked to have a recipe to make at home! I think I have all of these ingredients too. Can't wait to make this!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!! Looking forward to seeing another great recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have Sweet Tomatoes in Philadelphia but I LOVE IT when we are in Florida. One of my favorite places to go...

      Delete
  13. What a lovely fresh and crunchy salad, Judee! And the dressing sounds fantastic too. Thank you for sharing this deliciously wholesome recipe with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful salad with a spectacular dressing.

      Delete
  14. Hi Judee,
    Awesome! Thank you for sharing this wonderful Asian Peanut Coleslaw recipe with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds quite tasty! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. My teenage son has been so bad about eating vegetables lately. This coleslaw is perfect because he loves peanut anything. Pinned. Thanks for bringing it to foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      Hope your son likes this peanut coleslaw. It is really good

      Delete
  17. Thanks so much for sharing with the Let's Get Real party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Thai food, but I've never tried to make it before. Maybe this will get me into it. ;) Thanks for sharing at Savoring Saturdays. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are going to try to make Thai food, this is an easy start. Good Luck

      Delete
  19. This does sound delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe with SYC. Pinning.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am pinning this - it's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      Thank you. I feel like it looks really beautiful also

      Delete
  21. I'm featuring this on my blog the day after tomorrow. Cheers from carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Thank you so much for featuring this great salad recipe on Carole's Chatter!

      Delete
  22. Stopping by from Carole's Chatter. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this salad. Delicious

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly