Friday, October 24, 2014

Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix


Almost any recipe that calls for pumpkin puree will also call for pumpkin pie spice mix. They sell the pumpkin spice mix in the store, but it is expensive and you only need it occasionally during pumpkin season. It's so easy to use the spices that you already have in your pantry to make your own pumpkin spice mix .


grain free pumpkin pie


Let's face it, we want our spices to be fresh so they taste their best. I found that a small can or jar of pumpkin spice mix would last me for over 5 years ( and then I usually discarded it when it didn't have a strong smell of the spices). Spices are freshest that are stored for only 6 months ( of course we all keep them longer)

The ingredients that go into the pumpkin spice mix are very common and more likely to be spices you may have on hand because they are used in a variety of recipes. The ingredients are spices you may already be using daily. I find that my spices are fresher, more potent, and tasty when I make my own mixtures.

Did you know that spices actually add vital nutrients and antioxidants to our food? Research convinces us that they are more than just seasoning. For centuries and all throughout civilization spices were counted on for their protective and medicinal properties.

My husband often buys ground ginger (caspsules ) in the health food store before we go on a cruise. He has successfully taken ginger when he has felt nauseous ( sea sick)  on the cruise . It works great.

A typical pumpkin spice recipe will call for cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, and
allspice - I've sometimes just used only the spices that I've had like on hand like cinnamon, ground ginger, and all spice. Any combination of these spices seem to work in a pie recipe depending on your taste. I think the cinnamon is essential, but If you leave one of the other spices out, personally I have not noticed a considerable difference.

Here is the typical pumpkin pie spice mix formula that you can make at home for this season~
                                                                    Pin It

pumpkin pie spice mix

 Here are some seasonal recipes that may use pumpkin pie mix


pumpkin pie soup
Pumpkin PIe Soup



glazed butternut squash
Cider Glazed Butternut squash


Pumpkin cupcakes gluten free
Pumpkin Cupcakes


vegan pumpkin pie slice with whipped topping
                                                 Vegan ( blender) Pumpkin Pie



sweet potato with cranberries
Hasselback Sweet Potato with cranberry pecan topping for Thanksgiving
grian free pumpkin pudding bars

                                                      Pumpkin Pudding Bars 

Pumplin pie spice mix
Add caption


My blog carnival list

including Gluten Free Homemaker and Allergy Free Wednesday and 
Healthy Vegan Fridays 

Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know




If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)




Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.- Judee 


3K+
 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost of my blog expenses. Thank you for your support.

3K+
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

4 comments:

  1. G'day! Looks great and yum! Thanks for sharing at our #SayGdayParty!
    Please remember to stop back if you haven't already and say G'day to the hosts and someone else at the party!
    Cheers! Joanne @ What's On The List Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have all of these spices. Would much rather use what I already have than cram yet another jar in my spice cabinet! Thanks, Judee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up to Teach Me Tuesday last week. You are very much appreciated. Starting this week, we will no longer be visiting you, instead we will be pinning each and every link. We want to give you more exposure! Hope to see you again this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious pumpkin pie spice mix love homemade one, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly