Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree -so easy



Pumpkin puree

Do you love butternut squash? It's pumpkin season and it's just as easy to cook up small sugar pumpkins and make your own healthy pumpkin puree. Who Knew?

Cooking or baking a pumpkin is not any different than cooking a butternut or acorn squash! 


jar of pumpkin puree


 Cans have lots of toxins from the metals including BPA- so why expose your family to those toxins when you can make own easily.

pumpkins
sugar pumpkins best for pumpkin puree

I'm not really comfortable even buying the organic canned pumpkin unless I'm really in a rush because of the toxins in that can be in the can.

Pin It

Always use a sugar pumpkin for puree

You definitely want to use a sugar pumpkin for your puree. 
The larger varieties are usually blander as opposed to the sugar pumpkins with are sweeter and more flavorful. 

Sugar pumpkins usually show up at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and even local supermarkets. Of course if you live in an area where they grow pumpkins, local farms and farmer's markets will have them too.

The  "sugar pumpkins" are so cute, I decided to buy one, bake it, and puree my own pumpkin. It just $1.99 at Trader Joe's, and it made what would be equivalent to two cans of pureed pumpkin.

Health Reasons to Make Your Own
Why would I bother to make my own puree?  BPA, Aluminum, and Copper are part of the reasons
  • First of all canned foods are not all that healthy because of the cans. 
  • There is BPA in cans!!
  • Also, cans  are usually made of tin ( which contains considerable amounts of aluminum and copper and can leak into the food), and who knows what else lurks in there. Heavy metals are toxic, especially for little children !
  • Even organic canned pumpkin may still expose us to the undesirables that lurk in the can. 
  • The pulp of my "sugar pumpkin" was so sweet- it tasted like butternut squash! I wanted to eat it as a side dish for dinner!
Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Scoop and Mash Time: 5 minutes
Vegan, Gluten free





sugar pumpkin cut in half
cut in half and scoop out seeds- 


sugar pumpkin roasting on pan
Place on cookie sheet ( rimmed) with a cup and half of water 
homemade pumpkin puree
scoop and mash with a fork or use an immersion blender for a whipped version

bowl of pumpkin seeds soaking

Bonus:
scoop out seeds, soak in water , and rinse and drain. Spread on cookie sheet and roast for 25 minutes on 375. Season and eat!

Easy Steps to Making Your Own Puree

1. Cut the pumpkin in half- ( first cut from stem to bottom on one side, turn the pumpkin and then do the other side.

2. Scoop out the seeds ( wash them well and you can roast them at 375 for about 25 minutes- they are tasty and healthy)** see below for how to roast the seeds.

3. Place the two halves of the pumpkin face down on a rimmed cookie sheet or large casserole pan. Add 1 and half  cups of water to the pan ( pierce the pumpkins a  few time with a fork)

4. Bake for about 1/2 hour at 350 degrees. ( It is done you can pierce a knife easily into the skin)

5. Allow to cool enough to scoop out the soft flesh and blend with an immersion blender or mash with a fork ( I used a fork)

THAT'S IT!! So Easy!!

Use it within two days or freeze it.
It will only stay fresh for two days in the refrigerator.
However, it freezes for about 3-6 months. 

If you want to freeze it, do this first to remove liquid:
Put the puree into a small mesh colander with a small plate on top to release excess liquid before freezing. Your puree will be firmer after thawing.


jar of pumpkin puree


Don't forget the pumpkin spices!
You can make your own pumpkin spice mix very easily too.
You can buy a container of pumpkin spice mix iOR use this very easy recipe make your own pumpkin spice mix from ingredients you have in your kitchen.

Try my gluten free  pumpkin pie recipes and other pumpkin desserts 





                                                      My pumpkin recipes 

Note: Pumpkin is considered a winter squash and it not only tastes great, it provides excellent nutrients. 
  • High in Fiber -1 cup cooked 3 grams
  • Very Low in Calories- 1 cup cooked 49 calories
  • Rich source of Beta Carotene ( which converts to Vitamin A in the body) 
  • High in antioxidants
  • Rich orange color gives it the properties for anti aging for eyesight
If you like this post,  please pin it on Pinterest  Pin It 
This post will  be shared on  

My blog carnival list Plus 


Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know



If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)

Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.



Author: Judee Algazi

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost of my blog expenses. Thank you for your support.


Pin It Visit Gluten Free A-Z's profile on Pinterest. Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

17 comments:

  1. This is really no that hard to do and so worth it to avoid BPA and get more nutrition since it's never been canned. I've got a pumpkin in the oven right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than halfway there. Once your pumpkin is in the oven, all you have to do is scoop and mash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So delicious! :) I'm typically just opening a can of pumpkin! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas Judee, we are just cutting our Pumpkins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy. It's so much fun to carve the pumpkins. My kids always loved it

      Delete
  5. I was just wondering how to make this the other day. I am so glad I saw your recipe today! I would love if you would share this at Celebrate It! It's our blog party where we celebrate the everyday things that we do!
    http://thefreshmancook.blogspot.com/2014/10/celebrate-it-blog-party-15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will. Thanks for the invite. Hope the recipe helps you. It's so easy

      Delete
  6. I love pumpkin and use a lot of pumpkin puree all year long. Thanks for sharing with Real Food Fridays. Pinned and twitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually on use pumpkin in the fall- more so because of my blog. I never was a great fan, but it's growing on me.

      Delete
  7. Hi Judee,
    I too prefer not to use canned pumpkin puree so I am delighted that you shared this easy to follow recipe for making pumpkin puree at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop.I am pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays Party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I can't wait to see what you share next time!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great tutorial for your Pumpkin Puree, it looks wonderful! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen,
      It was so easy to make I don't know why I ever bought the canned!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe at the Blogger's Pit Stop, I'm sure it will be very useful for many people who like to make a more natural pumpkin puree. I've pinned your post on my group board. Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love using pumpkin puree in my recipes but have always used canned. Pinning to give homemade a try! Thanks for sharing at The Blogger's Pit Stop! Roseann from www.thisautoimmunelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips and recipes for enjoying the pumpkin! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly