Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie with Grain Free Crust

gluten free pumpkin pie

Pumpkin Pie seems to be everyone's favorite pie, especially this time of the year! This easy to make gluten-free pumpkin pie is delicious.

I have been experimenting with simple crusts that are grain free.This crust is made from almonds and does not have to be rolled. I'm no fancy baker, so I was delighted with the easy simple recipe.





The pumpkin pie recipe has two steps: 
  • the grain free/gluten free/ dairy free crust   
  • the golden pumpkin filling ( DF GF too) 

Make The Crust First
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
 
Ingredients for the Crust: 
1 and 1/4 cups of raw almonds
1/2 coconut sugar ( available in health food stores) it looks and acts like brown sugar but healthier
2 Tablespoons of coconut oil or butter.
 
Crust Directions:
Use a food processor with the metal blade. Place the almonds and coconut oil in the food processor   Turn it on and as it is chopping, add coconut sugar slowly from the chute. Process on an off until the nuts become chopped small and the oil and coconut sugar begin to bind somewhat. Turn off the food processor and press the mixture into the base of a 9 inch pan and set aside.

Ingredients for The Filling:
 1 15ounce can of organic pumpkin puree
1 and half cups of full fat coconut milk or organic half and half
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 - 3/4 cup of coconut sugar 
1 teaspoon of cinnamon+ 1/4 teaspoon dry ground ginger OR
use 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice mix (or make your own pumpkin pie spice mix )
1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
optional: 1/8 teaspoon cardamom** my favorite!! (only if you like cardamom)

Directions for The Filling 
Using a large spoon, mix all filling ingredients in a medium sized bowl until smooth.
Pour the filling on top of the pie crust.
Place in preheated oven for 45 minutes

In just 45 minutes you will be eating a homemade delicious pumpkin pie with a dab of whipped cream on top!

I was excited because everyone, even those who were not gluten free,  enjoyed this healthy delicious pumpkin pie!!!

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes at 375 degrees

food processor
Place almonds, coconut sugar, and coconut oil in processor and process quickly until smooth enough to press into pie pan


grain free crust
Crust ingredients pressed into a 9 inch pie pan

pumpkin pie
Pumpkin filling poured on top of the crust

Pumpkin Pie Baked and Ready to serve --

My notes: 
This pie can be dairy-free/parve if you use coconut milk and coconut whipped cream in place of the dairy.

                                                                  ENJOY!

Read it now;  pin it on Pinterest for later

If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)



Good Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you too. Come Back soon.



Author: Judee Algazi
3K+

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost of my blog expenses. Thank you for your support.

3K+
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad that it appeals to you. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to try this crust. I appreciate the savings in cost of grinding my own almonds. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The almonds ground up in seconds. It was very easy. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Just one question, do you press the crust up the sides like a regular pie crust or is it only on the bottom of the pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti,
      I did not, but you could. Just add more almonds, coconut sugar and coconut oil to make a bigger crust.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. When I want a treat, I want it to be healthy. I've been thinking pumpkin since September

      Delete
  5. What a great idea to make a grain free Pumpkin pie. Love the idea since I go grain free myself. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Twittted & Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Usually I find crustless pies that are of course then grain free, but I wanted a crust. This was perfect

      Delete
  6. I have a friend who is gluten free. I need to send her your site html. You always have so many delicious recipes! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jann,
      Please do send my url to your friend. I post something new about twice a week. I'm starting a new series called natural remedy Monday with ideas for natural healing.

      Delete
  7. Hi Judee,
    I love Pumpkin Pie and this looks so good. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to warm up to pumpkin pie. I've only started enjoying it recently. I don't know why

      Delete
  8. Seems very easy. I sure like the idea of not having to roll out a crust. ..or rather the cleanup afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I'm with you. Who wants to roll out a pie crust. I wouldn't even know how I assure you this crust is awesome and easy..

      Delete
  9. Looks so delicious, Judee! Thanks so much for sharing it at Savoring Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raia,
      Thank you so much for hosting and giving us a place to share our recipes.

      Delete
  10. Hi Judee,
    Wow this sounds great a grain free crust. I am definitely going to have to save this recipe and try it. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judee,
    Just a note to let you know that I have chosen your post as one of my features for this weeks Real Food Fridays blog hop that goes live every Thursday @ 7pm EST. Thank you sharing and being part of our mission to make it a healthier world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla,
      I appreciate that you chose to feature my recipe. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  12. I am pinning this for later. We anticipate my son having an official diagnosis of Celiac disease soon, and this could come in handy for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie,
      Gluten Free and grain free eating can be really easy and very healthy. Hope you will look through my blog for lots of recipes and ideas

      Delete
  13. This looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing on The Healthy Living Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks scrumptious. Thank you for sharing at the Recipe Swap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for linking up last week!
    Your post has been featured :)
    http://milaslittlethings.com/2015/10/idea-box-thursday-link-party-32.html
    xx
    Mila

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing your post with us at the #AnythingGoes Link Party! See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pumpkin pie! I haven't had it for many years though, as it isn't on the main menu in Australia. Thank you for sharing with us at #AnythingGoes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this healthy alternative pumpkin pie recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Allergy Free Thursdays, Judee! I'm going to feature it at this week's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful pie, Judee! I love that you can press in the crust as well. Sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page later today. Thank you so much for sharing your delicious pumpkin pie with the Hearth and Soul Link Party.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly