Sunday, June 7, 2015

Pot Luck Dinner Recipe



Closeup bowl of Mexican Bean Bake



Sometimes you just need a simple recipe to bring to a family gathering or pot luck dinner.
It doesn't get much easier or economical than this delicious Mexican Bean Bake.
All you have to do is assemble the ingredients, bake, and bring. It serves at least 8 decent size portions and is very tasty and satisfying. It's a meal in itself and can be served with gluten free chips, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and cut up veggies.

I'm on my way to a pot luck dinner right now at the farm for my CSA. I've never attended one before, but I'm guessing it's a nice way to meet other like minded people who want to eat organic and healthy meals. The weather is beautiful, so we are looking forward to eating outside in the country.

Even though the farm is just 20 minutes from our house, my husband says the air just smells better on the farm.

I actually posted a similar version of this recipe when I first started blogging, but it didn't get a lot of visibility, so I decided to share it again now. I did modify the recipe as it has evolved over the past 2 years. Although it is a vegetarian recipe , you could easily omit the cheese out and make it vegan.

It really is a great recipe! I don't make it often, but when I do everyone loves it.
Pin it for a future pot luck, BBQ, or family dinner. Can be eaten over rice or quinoa!

Ingredients: 
2 16 oz cans of organic pinto beans, drained ( or make your own beans 2 cans = 4 cups cooked beans)
2 16 oz cans of organic black beans, drained ( or make your own 2 cans= 4 cups cooked beans)
1 large can of organic chopped organic tomatoes
2 TBSP organic tomato paste
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice
1 additional cup of shredded cheese for the top
Optional: add corn, hot pepper, red pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a large mixing bowl, mix the beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and mix. Pour into a 9 inch Pyrex, top with additional cheese and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool somewhat and pack and go.. I have a flat strong basket that I use to transport cooked food. 

Pyrex bowl filled with Mexican beans and Cheese



This post will  be shared on  

My blog carnival list

Want to be added to My blog list? Let me know



If you are new to my blog and would like to be notified when I post a new recipe, please enter your email. Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time) subscribe by going over to the right side column and look for subscribe by email.

I am an affiliate for Amazon and I do receive a very small compensation if you purchase on Amazon through my blog. I appreciate the support to help cover the expenses of running the blog.


Photo from Gluten Free A-Z BlogFood is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to come up with easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.



Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

8 comments:

  1. This looks great! If I am making my own beans, would it come to about a cup each, cooked?

    Thanks!

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith,
      Thanks for your question. I added the information to the recipe.
      The recipes calls for 2 16 oz cans of black beans and 2 16 oz cans of pinto beans
      2 cans = 4 cups of beans

      Delete
  2. Judee, this recipe sounds so delicious, healthy and full of spicy flavor! My kind of recipe! I hope that you had a great time at your local CSA potluck and I'm sure that this dish was a HIT!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roz,
    It was the perfect recipe to bring to the pot luck. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and there was only a spoonful left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for dinner tonight- yum! A keeper for sure. My husband said, "I really like this." I included fresh cilantro and red, yellow, and orange bell peppers. I also used beans I had made the night before and spiced with cumin, paprika, chili powder, turmeric, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I served it on top of quinoa and with slices of avocado.

    It looked like Mexican lasagna, smelled divine, and looked gourmet... But it's beans! I love it!

    Thank you for sharing this recipe!
    ~Raquel
    www.atthenewlyweds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raquel,
      I'm so glad you liked the basic recipe and shared all the ways that you enhanced it! sounds delish!

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning, tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swathi,
      I enjoy the weekly Hearth and Soup blog hop. I'm glad to share. Thank you for hosting it

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly