Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Zoodles in Oil Free Vegan Pesto Sauce



zoodles in a avocado pesto sauce



spiralizer















I just finished eating this fabulous bowl of zucchini zoodles that I drenched in a creamy vegan kale/basil avocado pesto sauce ( oil free)  and topped with some halved cherry tomatoes! So simple and so delicious! Took 10 minutes to make! ( The avocado puts this pesto over the edge)

What are zoodles? Zoodles are made from a raw zucchini, are low in calories, and are fast and easy to make using a little tool called a spiralizer . It is the biggest rage and you can make so many amazing recipes with it.

Some of my readers may remember my post a week ago for curly baked sweet potato fries easily made with my spiralizer. I'm at it again using my spiralizer; however,  instead of using a sweet potato, I used raw zucchini! 

The spiralizer is a kitchen gadget that is relatively inexpensive ( $15-$30 ) and enables you to take ordinary vegetables like beets, zucchini, sweet potatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, carrots etc. and turn them into spaghetti like strands that resemble noodles!

My favorite vegetable to use in the spiralizer is zucchini to make spaghetti strands which have become affectionately known in the blogging circles as "zoodles".

The Pesto Sauce: I made my pesto without nuts to keep the calories down. ( however, you can add pine nuts if you wish) I think it still tastes great! It's a perfect summer dish because there is no need to turn on the oven, yet you can still enjoy a delicious meal.

 I like the zucchini raw, but if you don't- you can lightly sauté your raw zucchini strands for a few minutes first. When the zucchini is cooked to your liking, whip it out and toss with the pesto! Otherwise, just toss it raw ( as I do)  and enjoy!

Where do you buy a spiralizer? 

I bought mine online on Amazon. I've been using it for 3 years.
It's light, easy to use, and easy to wash.  .Spiralizer By Palermo- Voted the Best Vegetable Maker, 
I would recommend it!


Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: optional 5 minutes if you choose to sauté it
Serves: 2

Ingredients: 
1 med to large zucchini
1/2 Hass  avocado, peeled and pitted ( as opposed to the Florida larger avocado)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh basil, packed down
1/2 cup fresh kale, packed down
optional: 1/4 cup of pine nuts ( I did not use any)
10-12 cherry tomatoes of all colors, halved

Directions
Prepare your zucchini using a spiralizer and set aside. ( sautee in some vegetable broth for a few minutes if you like your zucchini cooked.

Oil Free Pesto:
Blend the avocado, lemon juice, water, kale and fresh basil in a food processor or blender until well blended ( I used a Bullet) . In a mixing bowl, toss the zoodles, avocado pesto, and halved cherry tomatoes.

Serve ! Yum..


one zucchini



zucchini noodles
The Palermo thicker strands


spiralized zucchini in avocado pesto sauce
This tasted amazing!!!!




This post will  be shared on  

My blog carnival list

Want to be added to My blog list? Let me know




I am an affiliate for Amazon and I do receive a very small compensation if you purchase on Amazon by clicking through my blog. I do appreciate the support that helps cover the expenses of running the blog and allows me to continue to provide free content!


Healthy Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian/vegan and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Don't forget to follow me to receive a notification when I publish a new recipe. Come Back soon.

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

25 comments:

  1. I used the pine nuts. Scrumptious and gorgeous and in time for the zuke bumper crops. Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! Bring on the zucchini

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make my pesto with spinach and walnuts but using avocado sounds AMAZING. This dish is super nutritious and gluten free, raw and vegan. I pinned for (near) future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,
    I think your are right! the avocado does make it creamy and extra delicious. Try adding some next time you make yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks pretty as well as sounding delicious. I am not sure where I put my spiralizer, Pesach time. I must take a peek and find it. There you are, my inspiration once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaya,
      I get the Pesach thing. We forget about so many utensils that we put away for Passover! Get that sprializer out!

      Delete
  6. Minus the nuts and THIS RECIPE IS MINEEEE! All mine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love my spiralizer and use it all the time. With zucchini growing in the garden, I'm looking for fun new recipes and this one fits the bill. Found your recipe at the Back to the Basics Link Party. I am the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link this recipe.

    Cheers,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori -
      I'll be over.. thanks for your comment and I too LOVE my spiralizer. In fact, it's the one tool I can't do without!

      Delete
  8. yup, may have to purchase one just so I can make zoodles! Thanks for sharing Stopping by from #RealFoodFriday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your so much for the feature! I love being part of your weekly blog carnival of fabulous recipes

      Delete
  10. I really thinking about investing in one of those Spiralizer. I appreciate you sharing your pictures to show how great they work and I love your salad recipe. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla,
      You won't regret buying one! They are not expensive and you will use it all the time!

      Delete
  11. Looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swathi,
      I'm a regular at the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop! The recipes are awesome!

      Delete
  12. Hi Judee,
    I could eat this hearty zoodle dish every day! I am delighted that you shared your healthy and delicious Zoodles in Vegan Pesto Sauce recipe with us on the Plant-Based Potluck Party Link Up. I appreciate it and I can't wait to try your recipe. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Judee,
    This is my favorite comfort food! I love to include healthy, nutritious zoodles in my diet in a variety of ways and dishes, so I am delighted that you shared your wonderful Zoodles in Vegan Pesto Sauce recipe with us on the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your healthy recipe blog party is a favorite. I always find some recipes to try. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

  14. Hi Judee,
    When I first discovered zoodles I was hooked. I love trying different sauces, toppings and ingredients with zoodles. Thank you for sharing Zoodles in Vegan Pesto Sauce with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Judee,
    I love the spiralizer. I have one and use it quite a bit. I love this recioe too - sounds quite healthy & tasty. Zucchinin are great for using in some many recipes and spirilazer them gives so many new options. Congratulations of being featured on HHGN blog hop. Have a healthy, happy & blessed day. Pinned & Tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla,
      I agree. I think that I use my spiralizer at least 3 times /week. I love it too.

      Delete
  16. We love zoodles too! zucchini and sweet potato :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly