Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Cinnamon Apple Butternut Soup ( slow cooker)


Dust off that slow cooker ( crock pot) and get ready to make a light, simple, and delicious sweet and cinnamon-y butternut squash soup.

Nothing says fall like butternut squash! If you are not ready for soup yet, pin this recipe for later.  Or better yet, make it now and FREEZE it for that first surprise chilly wet damp day. You'll be prepared with a tasty and healthy warming homemade soup!

This soup has an incredible flavor that both children and adults will love! Cinnamon, coconut sugar, vanilla almond milk swilled into this rich butternut squash and apple base made in the slow cooker!! Need I say more???

My CSA farm supplied me some butternut squash after I had already loaded up at Trader Joe's making my stash four large squashes in total! I decided to cook and freeze butternut squash soup this week.

I made two butternut squash soups- one savory ( click here Butternut rosemary soup) and one sweet- both are vegan and gluten free. Today I am sharing the recipe for the sweeter version which is really delicious.




The Right Peeler is a Huge Time Saver 
You do have to peel the squash, but I promise you if you have the right tool, peeling the squash is easy. Using my new vegetable peeler that I ordered online,  I was able to peel a large squash in under a minute without any struggle. The skin seemed to glide right off and quickly. OXO Good Grips Y Peeler


I peeled my large squash in 45 seconds with this sharp
OXO Good Grips Y Peeler.
It's the fastest and best peeler I've ever used

Cut in half , scoop out the seeds and chop into pieces 
Butternut squash can be somewhat sweet, so I decided to sweeten up this soup even a little bit more with some apple, cinnamon, and a little *coconut sugar ( see below).

I used my slow cooker for ease and blended the finished product with my immersion blender when it was done producing a creamy delicious soup.  I added the spices at the end and optional coconut or vanilla unsweetened almond milk. ( I chose the vanilla unsweetened almond milk was acutally exceptional in the soup!!)

Author:  Judee Algazi of Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Prep Time: 10- 15 minutes
Cook Time:  4 hours on high in the slow cooker


Ingredients:

6 cups of butternut squash, chopped ( about a 1 large squash)
1 cup of carrot, sliced ( about 2 carrots)
2 ( any) apples, cored, peeled and quartered
8 cups of water
cinnamon to taste
coconut sugar to taste ( available at Trader Joe's or any health food store- lower glycemic)
optional: slightly warmed coconut or almond milk added to each bowl when serving.

Optional: Garnish: chopped apple tossed in cinnamon, coconut sugar,  and chopped pecans or toasted pumpkin seeds (Make your own pumpkin seed tutorial)  like I did.

Directions:

Peel and chop the butternut squash. Use 6 cups for this recipe and place into the slow cooker.
Add the apple, carrots and the water. Cover and slow cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6. When everything is soft, turn off the slow cooker, remove the lid and blend with an immersion blender or in your blender. Taste it and then add cinnamon ( about a Tablespoon is what I used) and coconut sugar to taste ( I used about 2 Tablespoons).
If you like a creamed soup, add a little warmed coconut or almond milk to your taste to each bowl or to the entire soup. I used vanilla unsweetened flavor of almond milk.






This post will  be shared on  

My blog Carnival list 



I am an affiliate for Amazon and I do receive a very small compensation if you purchase on Amazon through my blog, but adds nothing to your cost. I appreciate the support that helps to cover the expenses of publishing this blog.


photo of woman
Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

20 comments:

  1. I love Fall, and soup and butternut squash! This sounds so good and like something my whole family would enjoy. I do hope you share the savory recipe as well because that sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,
      I love fall too and especially fall soups . I did link the savory soup in the post. The savory soup is good too

      Delete
  2. I without a doubt, adore butternut squash! ADORE IT!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butternut squash is without a doubt a fabulous fall vegetable and so versatile as well- muffins, soup, casseroles, roasted OMG the possibilities are endless

      Delete
  3. Hi Judee,
    I love cooking soup in the crock pot during fall and winter.
    I never had this soup before and thanks for sharing the recipe.
    I co-host a blog party on Monday called Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    I would love to have you come and share this with us. Thanks and enjoy the weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Julie,
      Thanks for the comments and I'll be over to check out your Monday blog carnival

      Delete
  4. Hi Judee,
    Sounds like a winning recipe to me. Butternut squash soup. Sure would taste great on a cold Winter day. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when all the winter squashes are in season. They make such great soups!

      Delete
  5. Judee, we both have butternut squash on our brains (and now in our tummies)! I just love anything with this wonderful fall veggie and it's time for soup . . . and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz,
      I love soup of any kind but it is the season for butternut squash so let's use it!

      Delete
  6. Judee I love butternut pumpkin and especially in a soup. This sounds so delicious and perfect for the cooler weather. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us at #anythinggoes and see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup is perfect in cooler weather and butternut is hearty and satisfying.

      Delete
  7. yummy! looks delicious. Anything made in the crockpot is a great time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love butternut squash and definitely love it in soup. Thanks for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just imagine how lovely this soups smells while it is simmering away in the slow cooker - I can also imagine how good it tastes! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us at Hearth and Soul. Pinned and will share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judee,
    I just love this combination for a lovely fall soup, it looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a wonderful day.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how simple this soup is to highlight the delicious ingredients! Glad to have found you through the Plant-Based Potluck! Pinning to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious. Thank you for sharing at the Recipe Swap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is almost a dessert soup. It sounds yummy and looks yummier. I have put aside chicken soup and I am alternating weeks. This sounds like a good choice for some of the alternates. I am not quite ready for creative cooking. A little break does not hurt me just not too long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was soooo delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly