Monday, June 20, 2016

Grain Free Veggie Burgers with Grilled Pineapple


There is something about summer that calls for burgers even if you are a vegetarian.
These grain free vegan burgers are a delicious way to fortify your diet and enjoy a tasty meat-free alternative this summer. They are made from garbanzo beans which are packed with fiber, protein, and valuable nutrients. In addition, I've added high fiber chia seeds, walnuts, fresh and dried spices, and chopped vegetables.( see my post on the amazing benefits of chia seeds)

Easy to Make 

I popped everything into the food processor , made the mixture into patties, then baked the patties in the oven! This vegan recipe will make at least 8 hearty burgers for your summertime enjoyment.



3 Ways I Eat Them

I eat my burgers on a plate topped with tomato, avocado, scallions, and lemon juice

  • Bean dishes are very popular in Mediterranean countries, and the Mediterranean diet is touted for being one of the healthiest in the world.These burgers can be eaten by themselves or
  • Topped with chopped avocado, tomato, lemon juice and scallions 
  • between two firm Romaine lettuce leaves like a Romaine Sandwich 
  • If you are not concerned with the grain, then get yourself a tasty gluten free hamburger roll and add your burger with toppings of your choice.

I use romaine lettuce leaves to make a sandwich- I place them together
Yesterday I was at a family Father's Day BBQ- I brought my own grain free veggie burger and romaine lettuce leaves. The hosts served grilled pineapple slices, so I made myself a sandwich using my lettuce leaves. ( this is a great sandwich solution for those who are gluten free, those on a low carb diet and those on a low calorie diet!

I like making my own veggie burgers for these reasons: 
  1. Gluten Free/grain free veggie burgers are hard to find
  2. My recipe is high in fiber and healthy nutrient packed ingredients
  3. It's more economical
  4. It's easy to make 
It's fun to find ways to add healthier ingredients like chia seeds to your diet!
Beans, nuts, chia seeds, and vegetables are definitely a good choice and this is one delicious way to eat them!

Author: Judee Algazi from Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 8 hearty burgers

Ingredients: 
1 can chick peas, washed and drained
1 can white beans, washed and drained
1/4 of fresh mint
1/4 cup of fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 cup red pepper
2 cloves garlic sauteed with the onion
1/4 cup red onion, sauteed in olive oil
1/4 cup chopped celery, sauteed with the red onion
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 teapsoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon of Trader Joe's 21 Salute ( or Mrs. Dash or the likes)
Himalayan salt to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Saute the garlic, onions, and celery in a teaspoon of olive oil until they begin to soften and set aside.
Add to the food processor: , the fresh mint, basil, scallions, sauteed onion, celery, and garlic, 21 Salute, cumin, lemon juice, chia seeds, walnuts and salt. Pulse on and off until mixture becomes somewhat blended. Add the chick peas and beans and process until smooth. Remove from processor and make 8-10 patties  1/2 cup patties ( measure in a 1/2 cup measuring cup) flatten and place on a large cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and generously prayed with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes and then turn. Bake for another 10 minutes until firm on both sides. Eat immediately or if you are going to refrigerate or freeze them, allow to cool somewhat before removing from tray. Remove and store.
Before Baking 
Use the Romaine lettuce as bread and make a romaine sandwich. Put the two halves together and enjoy!

My Notes: 
1. You can leave out the walnuts and the recipe if concerned about nut allergies

Shared on my blog carnivals including  Meatless Mondays,

3 comments:

  1. Love burgers with white beans so good and healthy. Thanks for linking up with us for meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Veggie Burgers and your recipe looks awesome! Have a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good veggie burger anytime but especially in the summer. Your recipe sounds so flavourful, Judee, I love the spices you've used. I also like that you've included so many wholesome ingredients including the chia seeds. Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly