Sunday, August 20, 2017

Got Celery? Simple But Healthy After School Snack




Celery is an alkalizing green vegetable that is a great gluten free base for a healthy snack.
Now that kids are going back to school, it's time to start thinking about nourishing after school snacks.









Have you ever filled a stalk of celery with nut butter and topped it with few raisins? It's a simple after school snack that is really delicious, packed with protein and nutrients, and ridiculously easy to make.


Kids of all ages love it!!



Real food makes great snacks for kids.

Instead of providing  packaged snacks to fill those little tummies, try reaching for fruit, vegetables and nut butters like peanut butter , almond butter or sun butters.


I was shopping in Whole Foods Market last week and they had a back to school promotion. Every department offered something special to taste or try. It was really fun trying samples throughout the store of food, smoothies, desserts, supplements, cosmetics, etc.

I always cut grapes in half for little kids




My favorite display was in the produce section where they made these little celery stalks filled with sun butter and raisins as a suggestion for a healthy after school snack.

Allergic? Or concerned about others who are?

If you or your little one is allergic to nuts or attend a nut free facility then Sunbutter works just as well.
I copied this information from the Sunbutter page-

" SunButter is free from the top 8 food allergens: peanuts, tree nuts, soy, milk, eggs, wheat, fish, and crustacean shellfish. SunButter is also free from Canada’s ten priority food allergens, which include mustard, sulfites, and sesame.
.
SunButter is made in the US from locally-grown, specially-roasted sunflower seeds, which are processed in our dedicated peanut free and tree nut free facility. Our sunflower seeds are grown in a region of the country where peanuts are not grown, eliminating the risk of cross contamination. SunButter is vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO, and certified kosher."
you can find Sunbutter on Amazon ( Prime) ..


Whether you use nut butter or Sunbutter, the idea is simple but offers some decent protein, sweetness from the raisins, and is very tasty.

Slice Apples, Plums, Peaches, or Pears

For variety use apples, pears, plums, or peaches and nut butter on a rice cracker or rice cake
or leave off the rice cake and just spread the nut butter on sliced apples


Sliced bananas sprinkled with cinnamon or nut butter


what are your favorite real food after school snacks? Love your comments!!

This post is shared on Beth Fish Reads " Weekend Cooking"
where anyone can share any food related  post- 

Disclaimer: Always check with your doctor before giving nut butter to children . Nut butters may cause allergies or be too thick for some children.

I am an affiliate for Amazon and like all bloggers, I may receive a very small compensation if you click on an item on my blog and make a purchase. This helps me defray the cost of running a blog. I thank you ...



20 comments:

  1. We called those ants on a log!! Great snack! Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about that name!! thanks for the reminder..

      Delete
  2. Love easy tasty snacks like this..and I happen to love celery too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celery is a perfect food to help alkalize the body- cant get enough of it.

      Delete
  3. Not a fan of celery. Never got the hang of it. : )
    Now my husband loves it with peanut butter in it.
    I'm the carrot girl here.
    Apples, strawberries, grapes yum!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda,
      I have to say I like most vegetables including celery. You could eat the peanut butter with apples too.. thanks for stopping by and commenting

      Delete
  4. I love celery! When I was pregnant with my second son I actually craved it and would eat stalks (not ribs, mind you) at a time. This is one of my favorite snacks. I hadn't thought about dressing up bananas, though, so I'm trying that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa Pattie, that is a heck of a lot of celery. I guess the body knows what it needs and it is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a neat idea!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: HTTPS://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/GROUPS/PLUCKYRECIPESCRAFTSTIPS/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a kid, but I would love to snack on these too! I'm so delighted that you shared your healthy and delicious after school snacks with us at the Plantbased Potluck Party. I'm sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah,
      I think that all of us have a little kid fun inside of us! These appeal to everyone. You should have seen the adults at Whole Foods

      Delete
  8. Bananas and cinnamon, I wouldn't have thought of that and I know I could make use of nut butter. I should stop by our Whole Foods to check out any free back to school samples. I love celery yet don't think of enough ways to use it except soup and stir fry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is a simple idea but one we often don't think of..

      Delete
  9. Sunbutter is my peanut butter substitution of choice. You can use it just like the real thing in cooking, baking, and snacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know . Isn't it wonderful to have such a great substitution. My cousins sun is highly allergic to nuts and this is so helpful for him

      Delete
  10. I love pb on celery, and grapes, but have never tried bananas with cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to snack on these too! I'm so delighted that you shared your healthy and delicious after school snacks with us at the Plantbased Potluck Party. I'm sharing this! When I was pregnant with my second son I actually craved it and would eat stalks (not ribs, mind you) at a time. This is one of my favorite snacks. I hadn't thought about dressing up bananas, though, We called those ants on a log!! Great snack! Thank you for sharing your article about Got Celery? Simple But Healthy After School Snack

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful post with us at Full Plate Thursday this week. Please keep our great state of Texas in your thoughts and prayers as we are struggling with the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Hope you have a good week.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are all about healthy snacks, for a hectic life style. healthy snacks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly