Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Apple and Honey Citrus Dressing for Rosh Hashanah


How sweet it is to dip apples into honey in celebration of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year). 

This year I expanded the traditional custom by also making a special apple and honey salad dressing to dress our salad at our Rosh Hashanah holiday dinner. 


After a few interesting attempts, I was delighted with the outcome of this oil-free, gluten-free, vegetarian dressing.  The dressing is sweet, yet tangy and tastes amazing on my fabulous (link to recipes) Israeli dried apricot and carrot salad  , mango coleslaw, Kohlrabi and carrot slaw, shredded carrot salad, Waldorf salad or even a fruit salad. 

It looks creamy and delicious with just a hint of red specks from the apple. 
Since I use organic apples, I leave on the skin and even use the seeds ( which are good for you) . 


Why Apples Must Be Organic
Apples are one of the fruits on the dirty dozen list published each year from EWG which lists fruits and vegetables that contain the highest concentration of pesticides. 

Since apples are one of the fruits that contain the highest amount of pesticides, I always buy organic. I can usually pick up a 3 pound bag that runs about $1.99 pound- or a bag at Trader Joes which is usually  even more reasonable. 

I will be serving this dressing tonight for our Rosh Hashanah holiday meal on my delicious Kale Super Salad. 

If you are looking for vegan or vegetarian and gluten free Jewish holiday ideas see my previous Rosh Hashanah round ups! 

I've converted some traditional foods such as (link) vegan chopped liver, vegetarian gluten free matzo balls, vegetarian 1 hour gluten free challah, and vegan un-chicken soup. 

This Incredible Salad Dressing Recipe

Ingredients: 

Juice of one large organic lime or lemon
1 large organic apple, cored and diced 
1 heaping tablespoon of raw honey (vegans substitute maple syrup)1 organic red apple, sliced
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
optional: 1/2 teaspoon of zest from an organic lime

Directions: 

Using a Vitamix or other very strong blender, whiz all ingredients together until well mixed and perfectly smooth. Serve on carrot salad, fruit salad, or as the dressing on a Waldorf salad.

My Notes: 
This dressing will last in the refrigerator for 5 days and still taste great!!


7 comments:

  1. Sweet and tangy...my favourite combo of flavour. A delicious dressing, Judee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie,
      I was surprised how good it was and it lasts in the refrigerator for about 5 days

      Delete
  2. This dressing sounds just fabulous. I've saved it and will be whipping it up as soon as I get some apples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dressing for the apples! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tip about the dirty dozen list. I'll look for organic. We love apples at our house. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe with us at Merry Monday. I'm sharing it on my Facebook page tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect dressing for any fall salad. Great flavors! Thank you for sharing at the Celebrate 365 blog party!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly