Saturday, February 15, 2020

Vegan Eggless Egg Drop Soup




Egg drop soup was always one of my favorite easy soup recipes to make until I stopped eating eggs.  It was so fast and easy, soothing, and delicious. I truly missed it.
However,  I found a way to make a vegan version that tastes almost the same, but of course eliminates the eggs. I wanted to call it , "you forgot the egg in this egg drop soup"





Actually I think the vegan version is just as good as the original egg drop soup.
It's equally as easy to make, is just as soothing, and just as delicious. 
If you do eat eggs and want the more traditional soup recipe, here is a link to my old recipe for authentic vegetarian egg drop soup. 



Add cooked rice or cauliflower rice to the soup
I like adding cooked rice or frozen cauliflower rice to my soups for added texture, heartiness, and fiber. When it's just for me, I prefer to save the calories, so I add cauliflower rice. When it's for my husband or company, I add rice. Although many times, my husband cannot tell the difference once it's in the soup! 

Of course all of my recipes meet gluten free standards! 

Feel a cold coming on? Very little prep for this soup
It's a wonderful recipe if you have a cold and just don't feel up to prepping the vegetables and cooking a pot of soup.  You can make this recipe start to finish in less than 10 minutes

Ingredients: 
2 cups of vegetable broth or Judee's Classic Chicken-less Soup 
1 tablespoon of potato starch or non gmo cornstarch mixed into a 1/2 cup of warm water 
1/2 cup of frozen cauliflower rice or cooked regular rice
1/4 cup of chopped scallions

Directions: 
Bring broth to a boil in a 2 quart pot. Slowly pour in and stir the potato starch mixture. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir until the soup begins to thicken (about 3 minutes). Add in frozen cauliflower rice and chopped scallions. Stir and continue to cook for 1 additional minute. Serve piping hot.

My Notes: 
Do you have a leek?  Clean it very well, cut off the white end with the hair growth, and then make 8 thin slices. Push out the middle of the slices and it will look like small little round rings. I throw them into the soup at the same time as the scallions, and it looks and somewhat tastes like noodles. Try it - you 'll see. 




This is a great recipe if you are having guests that a vegan, dairy free, gluten free, nut free etc. ( just make sure you read your label if using commercially prepared broth- buy one that is labeled gluten free and Kosher Parve (which means it does no contain any dairy). I doubt there are eggs in vegetable broth, but be sure to read the ingredients. 

Shared on Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads where anyone can share a food related post.

13 comments:

  1. Your photo with the mah jong tiles is really cute! I’ve never made egg drop soup, and usually order hot and sour soup in middle-American style Chinese restaurants. Yours looks like an interesting version.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that enjoyed it :-) Homemade broth is way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat eggs but never like the idea of dropping eggs into soups so I like your version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not made egg drop soup in so many years. Just never really feel the urge, or is it a craving? So your recipe would not cause me to miss anything, just enjoy a comforting bowl of vegetables in broth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, Judee! So many don't eat eggs now. I have to limit my own consumption of them and do best with recipes that involve baking as the protein changes when eggs are baked, which still amazes me. Anyway, thanks for this recipe. I just added cauliflower rice to my soup this week. Worked great. And I'm very intrigued by your leek noodles!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I like to add cauliflower rice to so many clear soups to add texture and fiber and I LOVE IT..

      Delete
  6. Like Claudia, I haven't made egg drop soup in years. This version sounds really good, especially for my vegan friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      I like it because it is such an easy yet soothing soup! Make sure your broth is flavorful or add a little bouillon.

      Delete
  7. How easy and delicious this recipe sounds. Love the idea of the leek noodle rings. I'll have to try making this recipe real soon. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a leek in the refrigerator and am just getting over a cold, so I think I'll try this recipe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a clean and simple soup! And it really does look like egg drop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple and so tasty this egg drop soup...very comforting during these cold days.
    Have a great week Judee!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly