Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Amazing Salad With Quinoa


 

I just finished eating an amazing bowl of delicious Quinoa Confetti Salad. Healthy, gluten free, and vegan.

Quinoa is gluten free and although it looks like a grain it is actually a seed. It has a mild pleasant taste, is easy to digest, and is also high in protein. It makes a nice side dish or stuffing for stuffed peppers. 

It can be purchased in the supermarket, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods Markets,  or any health food store.

I had made some quinoa yesterday for my easy black bean and quinoa burgers. I had about a cup and half of cooked quinoa left over and wanted to make something with it. 


I decided to make one of my all time favorite salads: 
Quinoa Confetti Salad

The salad contains lots of healthy immune building and anti cancer cruciferous vegetables as well as jicama which speeds up metabolism and makes the salad crunchy and delicious. The chopped organic red apple adds some additional crunch and a little sweetness.

Talk about eating 5 fruits and vegetables a day.. This dish has your 5 fruits and vegetables in just one meal! What a nutritional powerhouse! 

Enjoy the salad topped with the sweet and lemony easy salad dressing listed below.


Ingredients: 


1  14-16 ounce bag of ready to make cole slaw or broccoli slaw
( or you can  shred your own cabbage and carrots)
1 red Delicious apple, peeled and cubed
1 cup of raw broccoli flowerettes chopped in small bite size pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries, soaked in water for about 1/2 hour and drained.
1/3 cup raw walnuts,
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup jicama,( pronounced hic a ma) peeled and chopped 
1 and half cups ( or more) of cooked quinoa
( pronounced keen-wah)- . 

Delicious Dressing:
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup agave nectar or raw honey
1/4 cup olive oil
Mix well in blender and pour over salad and toss.




With Red Quinoa
1. Empty package of cole slaw to a large bowl and add apple, jicama, broccoli, nuts, cranberries, and quinoa to the bowl 


Combine lemon juice, agave or raw honey, and olive oil in a glass and pour over the salad and toss.

Variations:

  • add dark organic raisins ( soak for 1/2 hour) 

  • add raw sunflower seeds


  • Same Salad Without Quinoa


    My Notes: There are a few varieties of quinoa which come in different colors. I've tried the red and the white. They taste fairly similar, but the red is a little heartier; the white a little lighter. 

    Both work in the salad. The large brown mound in the top picture is a jicama- available in most supermarkets. Just peel and chop.

    Because quinoa is not a grain, it is permissible to eat on Passover. You can make and enjoy this delicious naturally gluten free salad. 

    Click for additional information all about Quinoa 

    Extra Recipe: Quinoa Patties 
    May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
    Like my recipes?  Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

    Please leave a comment so I can be  introduced to your blog . I will visit you and  I usually follow on G+, Twitter, and Pinterest. I would love if you followed me as well Follow me as well : Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .
If you are new to gluten free and need information on the basics, visit my website and read getting startedhttp://www.glutenfreerules.com/

1 comment:

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly