Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Figs with Ground Hazelnuts




The tips of these fresh figs and strawberries are dipped in semi sweet chocolate and then coated with ground hazelnuts or cinnamon. These delicacies make a quick and easy party dessert and are of course gluten free. They look pretty and complement  just about any other dessert you may be serving. The  fresh figs and strawberries also go well with a fancy coffee, an after dinner liquor, or a special dessert cheese.They are light and make a perfect ending to filling meal.

I made this dessert because of Hurricane Irene. 
Instead of going to New York City to see a Broadway show with some friends, my plans were thwarted! 
My show was cancelled because of the weather !
Thank you Irene!
Instead, we did a last minute get together with neighbors!
My first thought was, " What can I make from what I already have in the house"?
I had already done a run to Trader Joe's the day before and had picked up some beautiful fresh black mission figs and a container of strawberries. I have a cookbook called Smallbites by Jennifer Joyce. When I saw her chocolate dipped figs, I knew it was a match. Personally, I added cinnamon topping as a variation , and I really love the cinnamon version. There is something about chocolate and cinnamon that tasted amazing! Yum!

Ingredients:
Fresh Figs, washed and dried
Fresh strawberries, washed and dried
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
1/2 cup ground hazelnuts or cinnamon ( or dip in both)

Directions:
Wash and dry strawberries and figs, but do not take off greens or stems. Using a sharp knife start at the end opposite the stem and cut down the middle so all fruit is halved.Grind hazelnuts till well ground in a Vitamix or food processor.Put into a small bowl. Put chocolate chips into a microwave proof container and microwave for about a minute stir( check and it might need more) . If you are not happy using a microwave, put the chocolate chips over a double boiler until melted. 
Holding the stem, dip the tip of a strawberry or a fig into the melted chocolate and then dip it immediately into the ground hazelnuts or cinnamon.  Arrange on a plate, refrigerate for at least an hour and serve from the refrigerator.


Wash and dry figs and strawberries ( Must be very dry to dip)

Slice strawberries and figs in half starting at the end opposite the stem


Grind 1/2 cup of hazelnuts in food processor or Vitamix ; put chocolate chips into a microwave proof dish
                         and microwave for about 1 minute until melted.

Dip fruit halves one by one into the chocolate and then the ground nuts or cinnamon
Arrange on a plate, refrigerate for at least an hour and serve.!
I shared this recipe on the following blog carnivals:

Pin It

Katherine Martinelli fig hop

16 comments:

  1. I want a plate of these. I really need to avoid wheat, Judee, I have to start weaning myself off. Can you direct me to where I can find recipes that I can put together for a week, do all my shopping, etc. Also, what things would contain hidden wheat that I might be eating? I would appreciate it so much. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,
    Go to my website www.glutenfreerules.com and click on GF Explained and GF Resources.
    GF Explained is a Power Point presentation with helpful information. Go towards the end and there are lots links with
    resources you can use. I will send you anything else I find.
    Judee

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious. I'd love to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea!! I love chocolate covered strawberries but never thought of adding ground hazelnuts and although figs are my favorite I never considered dipping them in chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These looooook yummy! I have never seen chocolate dipped figs and this sounds scrumptious. Thanks you for stopping by HomeSavvyAtoZ.com today to link up. I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting idea for figs. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are gorgeous, fabulous, colorful, nutritious, delicious, and everything in between! Absolutely inspired! I would be thrilled to attend any event - even watching a DVD in my jammies! - and find these waiting for me ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judee, These are magazine worthy. I bet the figs taste divine!
    Thanks for bringing all this sweetness to ON THE MENU MONDAY.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is genius, my my why didnt I think of this! I love fig newtons dipped in chocolate then in hazelnuts but the actual fruit is spectacular!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is easy healthy dessert. Love it. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judee,
    What a beautiful presentation and the Figs look delicious. Hope you will have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. recipe looks fantastic. I would live for
    you to come share it at FAT TUESDAY,\. I hope you
    will put FAT TUESDAY on you r list of carnivals
    to visit and link to each week!

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/09/fat-tuesday-september-6-2011

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, those look great. I really need to give figs a try. Thanks for sharing it at Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look spectacular! Judee, can you come to my house? I want a big platter full of these treats now... thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Figs are on my youngest daughter's foods to try list and will be making these for her. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never had fresh figs before, but this sounds like the perfect time to try them!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly