Saturday, November 3, 2012

Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili




Despite the bad photo, this sweet potato chili is outstanding and a perfect easy meal to make for a group!.Thanksgiving side anyone?



My daughter in Law, Wendy, made a fabulous dinner buffet the other night which included this delicious sweet potato chili. I'm not normally a chili lover, but I loved this recipe. It had some unusual ingredients including cocoa and cinnamon. Wendy had about ten for dinner, a variety of dishes, but everyone seemed to really like the chili the best!.


Optional: You can also add fresh corn


As an easy entertaining tip
Wendy served the chili right out of  the crock pot  on her buffet table to keep it piping hot for her guests to serve themselves.

                                


Got Butternut Squash? 
I use sweet potato and butternut squash interchangeably. Sweet potato is a little thicker, but both are bright orange vegetables that provide similar flavors. Butternut squash may be a little lighter on the carbs and calories. This could be a great addition if you have a having a crowd for Thanksgiving. ( especially if you are having any vegetarians or vegans)

Need to eat more fiber? 
You can't go wrong with this hearty, heart healthy recipe- beans 
(fiber), vegetables (vitamins and minerals), healthy spices
(antioxidants) that is so delicious and so good for you. It's also gluten-free, vegan, and oil free, making it a versatile dish if you have guests with eating restrictions.


Weeknight Convenience 
It's also a great meal for your family for a weekday meal.
Put the ingredients in the crock pot before you go to work. Come home to a fragrant warm nourishing dinner not fast food.

I eat it with a salad ( and my fabulous cranberry dressing see recipe at end of post) and feel very satisfied! 

Beans are really healthy read:  6 powerful reasons black beans are so good for you.

                                       
    

Ingredients:
1 med red pepper , seeded and chopped
1 28 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
16 oz of black beans. cooked (if you don't make your own, use 1- 16 oz can)
16 oz of kidney beans, cooked (if you don't make your own, use 
1- 16 oz can)
1 large sweet potato, cubed (or 1 and cups butternut squash cubed)
1 T ground cumin
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions :
Combine red pepper and cumin, cocoa, and cinnamon and place in a 4-6 qt. slow cooker and add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, black and kidney beans. Cook on low for 7-8 hours until vegetables are softened.
serves 6 dinners- for a larger crowd , double the recipe.

Recipe for Cranberry Dressing    for salad.. ( This is one AMAZING dressing)
2 Tablespoons of raw organic honey (or maple syrup grade B)
Juice and the fruit of one large navel orange
1/4 cup of organic cranberries ( I found them in the supermarket) 
2 slices of fresh ginger ( a must if you like the taste of ginger)
1 TBsp lemon juice
1/4 cup of water




I made this dressing in seconds in my new  Nutribullet  very high power blender ( works like a Vitamix, but is much less expensive) .It's small, compact, easy to use, and takes up very little space and the plastic containers are BPA free..

My Photo

Shared on Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking 
at Beth Fish Reads

 I'd also love for you to follow me on Twitter where I post a least 8-10  gluten free recipes a week that are in addition to what's on my blog and follow me on Pinterest for all my great Pinterest finds! And follow me on the blog on Google Friends Connect.  I'll always follow you back!




25 comments:

  1. Just stopping by to follow you back and say hello. Sorry it took me so long. I have been sick and Destructo is sick as well with colds. This blog will be very helpful. I have a gluten free coworker and I can show him some of the different recipes.

    www.adventureswithcaptaindestructo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I would love to invite you to link up at Fall Into the Holidays--

    http://redcrowgreencrow.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/fall-into-the-holidays-7/

    Katie @ Horrific Knits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love sweet potato, great idea to use in chilli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet potato chili? What a great idea! If you haven’t already, I'd love for you to visit my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up this and any other GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cranberry dressing??? Sweet potato chili??? Oh, man, I shouldn't have come to visit right before lunch! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! I'd love for you to share your recipe on my new blog hop, {Wheat-Free Wednesday}! Hope to see you there! :)

    http://www.annemariecain.com/wheat-free-wednesday-11-07-12/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chili sounds tasty! I love crock pot recipes, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a perfect meal for a group this time of year. Great for a football party etc... Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting dish! That looks perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted you to know that I've included your chili in a sweet potato roundup today. Will be tweeting etc your recipe all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      Thank you so much for featuring the chili. I'm on my way over to see it.

      Delete
  11. Hi Judee! I stalked your blog for weeks, looking for the perfect Secret Recipe Club recipe... and this is it! Thanks for a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the addition of cocoa! YUM! Thanks for kicking off the Gluten Free Fridays party this weekend! WOOT! We have some awesome recipes and they just keep coming!! So....Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your chili sounds delicious, with lots of wonderful layers of flavour. I also like the sound of your delicious cranberry dressing - it's lovely and seasonal too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Judee! Thanks for sharing at {Wheat-Free Wednesday} last week. Your post has been pinned to my Pinterest board. I hope you'll share again this week:

    http://www.annemariecain.com/wheat-free-wednesday-thanksgiving/

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be back for a longer visit. I am trying to learn more and more about gluten free. Thanks for sharing.


    It’s time for Merry Merry Munchies 2012. I’d love for you to come link up and check out the giveaways. http://diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com/2012/11/2012-merry-merry-munchies-1-sugared-nuts.html
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. With tasty ingredients like these, who can resist your healthy and delectable Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili. So Yummy! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at the Plant-based Potluck Party. I'm pinning and sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's the season for chili and we love beans and sweet potatoes. Must give this one a try this year. Love the table setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      It is a perfect combination as the sweet potato just melts into the beans

      Delete
  18. Interesting. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great! Black beans are my favorite bean! I love the sound of the chili and dressing recipes and the recommendation of the Nutri-Bullet. Just in time for Christmas gift ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love sweet potato but haven't ever put it in chili- I'm going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like a healthy and delicious bowl of chili and perfect for fall! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly