Saturday, September 28, 2013

Hearty Red Lentil Soup


Are you ready for the change of season? This easy red lentil soup is a perfect fall soup. Red lentils are hearty and taste very different from the more traditional brown lentil. They have the consistency of split peas but with a milder and sweeter taste. Although I frequently make my own recipe for Egyptian spiced  red lentil soup, today I'm sharing a recipe that I tasted at my friend Seraphine's house..Her recipe is a little chunkier than mine and has completely different seasoning and vegetables.

Have you cooked with red lentils before? Satisfying, soothing, and filling are synonyms I would use to describe red lentil soup. The lentils are easy to work with and are a healthy ingredient that is fast and easy, full of fiber, supplies healthy proteins ( 17 grams per cup) , low on the glycemic index, and have lots of antioxidants. Red lentils cook quickly , so there is no need to soak them in advance.  Actually the red lentils look orange and then turn a golden color while cooking.

red lentils
uncooked red lentils: a rich orange color
These rich orange legumes fit perfectly into the fall color theme, providing a nutritious soup for a chilly fall evening. Eat it with salad and a sandwich for "on the go"  meal.

Where do you buy red lentils? In any ethnic ( Indian, Middle Eastern)  store, health food store, Trader Joe's , and in the "Goya foods"  section of most supermarkets.

Vegan, gluten free, hearty and tasty!! This satisfying soup is a winner! 

Thank you Seraphine for serving me this soup and sharing the recipe..



Seraphine's Red Lentil Soup Recipe

Ingredients: 
16 oz. lentils, washed well 
2 carrots,  chopped into small chunk size  pieces
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
Bunch fresh parsley, chopped fine
Salt and pepper to taste
6 cups water ( or vegetable broth) 

Directions: Add all ingredients to washed lentils. Cover with the water or broth combination, adding  more water as necessary while cooking.  Cook till lentils are tender, about 30 minutes . Serve immediately.. or tastes even better the 2nd day!


Shared on some of the following blog carnivals: Blog Carnivals including   Souper Sunday

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

17 comments:

  1. Yes, I eat this soup. The first time I tasted it I was in love. I have converted so many people to this soup. I buy my lentils in bulk at Sprouts. I learned to make it with cumin, a small amount of rice and celery and then your recipe. Delish.

    Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my other recipe uses cumin as well.. It is tasty

      Delete
  2. I love soup and need to give this a try. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were on the same page with red lentil soup this week. ;-) This looks delicious and satisfying with all the veggies. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never cooked red lentils--only the green ones, but the color is so nice! Great soup, Judee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red ones are more like split pea consistency

      Delete
  5. Lentil soup is one of my "go to" recipes, and the more variety the better! thanks for sharing this. I just popped over from the Marvelous Monday Linkey. I would love it if you dropped by for a visit at http://www.kneadedcreations.com . Happy Day to you! Deb @ Kneaded Creations

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making it right now. Looks yummy. Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am about to start my cold weather soups as soon as there really is cool weather and this is going on the list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
    Nancy K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I saw and pinned your lentil soup from another linkey party earlier this week, but just want to say as co-host of the Real Food Linkey, that Lentil soup is one of those comfort foods that i grew up with that really stays with me! thanks for sharing at our Real Food Linkey. Deb @ Kneaded Creations

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently discovered (fell in love with!) red lentils. You could make this soup even quicker using a pressure cooker. Simply combine in pressure cooker, bring to high pressure and cook four minutes. I let the pressure come down naturally (because I'm busy setting the table, finishing dessert prep, etc) and dinner's ready. Super simple!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! 4 minutes.. that's amazing.. What a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your soup looks delicious Judee, we will love it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope your weekend was great!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really good! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love your blog carnival

      Delete
  14. G'day and YUM, TRUE!
    Love red lentils in cooking and could go for a bowl of your soup right now too
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of Food Friends Friday Chili Party

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Gluten Free A-Z and leaving a comment about my recipe. Your Comment makes my day!