Monday, October 21, 2013

Sweet and Creamy Pumpkin Pie Soup-


                               pumpkin soup

The daily blog carnivals have been overflowing with pumpkin recipes, so I wanted to join in. However, aside from making a wonderful vegan traditional pumpkin pie, I've only used pumpkin for soup. So, I decided to make a pumpkin pie soup!

The recipe is easy, the taste is sweet and delightful, and the ingredients are nutritious, vegan , and of course gluten free. What a creation!

Think about this! - pumpkin in itself is bland and takes on the flavors of whatever you add to it. It is the spices that gives pumpkin pie its taste. Following that logic, I knew it would be the spices that would give this soup its taste.

So, I went to the local farm and picked up a medium cooking pumpkin ( a sugar pumpkin).
I washed it, cut it in half , took out the seeds,  then steamed it in one of those simple stainless steel steamer baskets




When the pumpkin was soft, I scooped out all the cooked pumpkin. If you taste the pumpkin at this point, it's super bland.

Why use pumpkin if it's so bland?

  • It's full of fiber 
  • It provides important nutrients and antioxidants that our bodies need that are available mostly in fall vegetables like pumpkin, butternut squash, and orange meaty squashes.
  • It's plentiful right now at most farms, and many cultures believe it is best for our bodies when we eat locally grown fruits and vegetables.
  • It's easy and fast... 
  • It makes a great soothing soup that tastes great!

These pumpkins are just decoration, I used a sugar baby variety of pumpkin for this soup


Ingredients

1 large onion, sliced in 1/2 moons 
Olive oil spray
2 cups spiced apple cider 
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups of  pumpkin puree or steamed pumpkin
2 yams, steamed and chopped
1/2 -1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 
optional: For a creamy soup add 1 cup of soaked  and drained
raw cashews ( soak for 3 hours)  before blending

Directions

Saute onions slowly in olive oil spray until caramelized . Add cider, broth, steamed pumpkin, steamed yams and spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Using a hand immersion blender, blend until smooth. Taste and garnish with additional cinnamon if desired.

I bought my spiced cider at Trader Joe's ( Where else?)

Steamer Basket Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer Basket Folding Steamer Insert for Veggie Fish Seafood Cooking, Expandable to Fit Various Size Pot (5.1" to 9")





This Recipe Was Featured On: 
Delicious Dish Tuesday 

5 Healthy Halloween Ideas from last year 

For lots of similar recipes and ideas, Follow me on Pinterest

May be shared on some of the following blog carnivals: Blog Carnivals 
and Weekend Cooking where anyone is free to share any food related post



Pin It

Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon. If you click on any Amazon link from my blog and make a purchase, I receive a very small compensation( at no additional cost to you) to help defray the cos to publishing a blog. Thank you for your support.

36 comments:

  1. Judee, this sounds fantastic. My list of soups is growing but I am moving this to the top section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Chaya I don't think that you will be disappointed. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great way to use pumpkin. Thank you for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know making a pumpkin soup is a little different and the pie spices are delicious

      Delete
  3. Oh this looks so yummy! I never thought about putting apple cider in pumpkin soup!
    Thanks for sharing at Great Tastes Tuesday! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the apple cider is unique and makes it a little sweet tasting. Love it!

      Delete
  4. OMG this looks like PERFECTION! I could really use some right now. I am looking for a little snacky snacky right now - I wish I had this in my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lip smacking. We had a soup recently served in a pumpkin. It was a little sweet, but your version would work perfectly! Love the addition of the cashews too. Thanks for linking up to Real Food Fridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia,
      I think most pumpkin soups are sweet- I'm not a sweet soup lover so I created a less sweet version. I love the idea of serving it in a pumpkin

      Delete
  6. I wasn't aware of how good pumpkin is for you. I guess b/c I'm used to seeing it in pie, cookies, cake, etc! Your pumpkin soup looks like it would be perfect for a nice cool evening like we've been having here. Thank you for sharing, Judee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      It is amazing how good so many vegetables are for us especially the colorful ones

      Delete
  7. Hi Judee,
    Can't wait to taste this soup, it looks so good. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing with us, featuring your recipe on AFW this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature! There is nothing more exciting than seeing one of my recipes featured by one of my blogging colleagues.

      Delete
  9. I've never had pumpkin soup, but I definitely want to try it. Your recipe looks like a great place to start! Thanks so much for sharing this healthy dish with us at Saturday Night Fever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious - and good for you - I just found out there's a Trader Joes about an hour away - may take a field trip :)
    I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      I assure you that it's worth the trip! When I was in Florida, I had to travel an hour to get my supplies too.

      Delete
  11. I love pumpkin season in the blog world! But, I especially love how you did it all in a soup! I wanted to let you know that I am featuring this amazing soup tomorrow morning at the Show Stopper Saturday party! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria,
      I am thrilled and honored to be featured on your popular weekly blog carnival.

      Delete
  12. I've never had pumpkin soup, it looks good, pinning to my healthy eating board. Can I use canned pumpkin? If so how much? Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays, come by tonight and share again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the same amount of canned, although its easy to roast a pumpkin and use the inside pulp and tasted so much better.

      Delete
  13. try one and half to two cups of pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love pumpkin soup and this version sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bright sunshiny color of this soup--perfect to warm you up for fall. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This soup looks so good. Thanks for linking up to Good Tips Tuesday! You are featured today. http://abirdandabean.com/2014/10/good-tips-tuesday-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pumpkin pie soup looks delicious, Judee. I like the addition of the yams! Pinned to my Paleo Recipes board. Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pumpkin recipes in the fall, and this one looks fabulous! Can't wait to try it!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’ll be featuring this as ANOTHER one of my favorite’s for this week’s DDT! :) Feel free to come by and grab the “Featured Favorite” button for this one too! :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can almost taste your awesome Pumpkin Pie Soup, it looks delicious. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love pumpkin soup made from fresh pumpkins, and this version sounds so intriguing with the spiced cider.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to see a new pumpkin recipe. I've never had pumpkin soup. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rachael Ray's Pumpkin Soup is one of my all-time favorites. I love the addition of spiced cider.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly