It's fall, which means it's pumpkin pie time. I'm sharing this easy blender pumpkin recipe that is silky and delicious.
Fall in Bucks County, Pa is breathtaking. The foliage turns beautiful shades of crimson, golds, and oranges, the farms are overflowing with crispy fall apples, families spend their weekends"apple picking", and lots and lots of varieties of winter squashes, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin are available for purchase on the roadside farms!
|Pumpkins on a cart at the farm at the corner of my street|
It's made with just a few healthy ingredients that are blended in the blender or Vitamix . Other than the cooked pumpkin, the main ingredient is raw cashews ( soaked and drained.) Many raw food desserts call for raw cashews. They give vegan desserts a smooth and firm texture.
|Simple but surprisingly delicious...one piece will not be enough|
( one pie will not be enough)
- Pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A and even contains some iron.
- Pumpkin and sweet potatoes contain a significant amount of fiber, which is essential for a healthy diet.
- 1/2 cup mashed pumpkin has 5 grams of fiber. A slice of whole grain bread may only provide 2 grams of fiber.
- Just like carrots, pumpkin and sweet potatoes are good for the eyes and provides the health protecting antioxidants, lutein and beta crptoxanthin known to be helpful for age related cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Pumpkin is also a good source of potassium which is essential for healthy nerves and muscles and helps keep blood pressure stable.
1 and 1/4 cups raw cashews, soaked in refrigerator at least 6-8 hours ( Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup Grade B organic Maple syrup ( Trader Joe's)
1 can organic pumpkin puree (16 ounces) (or homemade fresh puree) ( Trader Joe's again)
2 medium yams, steamed, peeled, and cubed.
1/2 cup almond or coconut milk I used coconut
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice ( ** or make your own spice mix )
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp natural vanilla
1. Soak cashews in a bowl in the refrigerator 6-8 hours in advance ( if in hurry soak 1 hour)
2. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
3. Drain the water from your cashews and place in blender or Vitamix. Add remainder of ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. Remove mixture and pour into a lightly greased pyrex pan. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes and then at 350 for an additional 20. Remove and cool.
4. When cool, place in fridge until cold at least 2 hours.
5. To me it tastes best the next day when it has been cooling overnight.
** Variation: Bake in a ( gluten free) pie crust . My very easy gluten free pie crust does not need to be rolled.
|soak cashews overnight|
|or make your own pumpkin puree|
|Steam yams ( I just used two yams for the recipe)|
|Blend all ingredients until smooth|
|I did not use a pie crust|
|Enjoy ( topped with coconut cream)|
The dairy free whipped coconut cream is from another gluten free blog that has wonderful ideas. They provide pictures with a step by step recipe. Click here for their coconut whipped cream recipe Junior GF Chefs.
Variation : Make this pie using steamed sweet potatoes
For a slightly different flavor Use all sweet potatoes ( 6 medium to large) in the recipe instead of pumpkin.
Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.
My recipes was adapted from: Happy Healthy Life .
Author: Judee Algazi
Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments
I am an affiliate for Amazon and I do receive a small compensation if you purchase on Amazon through my blog. I appreciate the support to help me cover the expenses of running the blog.
See my post for 5 healthy Halloween Party Ideas
Crudite and Dip Pumpkin for Halloween The Rogue Cookie
Like my recipes? I post lots more ; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z and Twitter .
Please leave a comment so I can be introduced to your blog . I will visit you and I usually follow on G+, Twitter, and Pinterest. I would love if you followed me as well Follow me as well : Gluten Free A-Z and Twitter .