Saturday, June 17, 2017

Three Awesome Appetizers for Summer - Gluten Free

It's summertime and the entertaining is easy when you make these simple
 but elegant summer appetizers.


a beautiful caprese salad for a crowd

The summer season is the most popular time of the year for entertaining, especially outdoors! 
When you are not in the mood for a BBQ, you need some festive easy recipes to dazzle your guests. 



a plate of summer tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese

Caprese salad ( or the vegan version below) makes a beautiful presentation and a satisfying appetizer. 


layers of summer tomato, mozzarella cheese, and fresh bail


Ingredients:

 With fresh mozzarella cheese, summer tomatoes, fresh basil, red onion, cucumber, Calamata olives, and marinated artichokes, this platter is sure to please your guests. 

Having a wine and cheese party for a few neighbors on the deck? This Caprese salad or the vegan Caprese salad below will be perfect. 

Directions: 

Simply cut and layer the tomato and mozzarella cheese on the perimeter of the platter and then fill in the center of the platter with chopped cucumber, red onion, marinated artichokes and freshly chopped basil. Drizzle lightly with Italian Dressing or a little olive oil and balsamic and salt and pepper if desired. 



On a hot day serve some ice water or cold seltzer with sprigs of 
fresh mint, orange slices and lime slices

Ice cold water with sprigs of mint and orange slices


Another outdoor favorite is this refreshing frozen watermelon frosty which can 
be made with or without alcohol. 

Frozen Watermelon Frosties

The next time you buy a large watermelon, freeze what you don't use . 
Simply cut the leftover watermelon ( cut off the rind)  into bite size chunks, place in a zip lock baggy and freeze overnight.  Use the frozen watermelon chunks to make delicious and cooling fruit frosties 


round watermelons



a refreshing watermelon frosty made from frozen watermelon
Watermelon Frosty Recipe



Avocado Caprese Salad ( vegan) 

Everyone seems to love Caprese salads, but what if you are vegan ?
Here is a vegan caprese salad using avocado, tomato,  cucumber, fresh basil , and some little capers that will be a hit at any party. 



an appetizer of summer tomato , avocado slices, and fresh basil layered on a large plate



Avocado halves ready to make guacamole


Also makes a beautiful presentation that your guests will love looking at and enjoy eating. 
Choose to make one of the salads or make both of them.. 


avocado appetizer with tomato, cucumber and capers


What is your favorite summer appetizer for parties? 

This link is shared on 

23 comments:

  1. I love the colours in all of these recipes plus they are healthy which is great. Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at #overthemoon. I've pinned and shared on social media. Have a great day and see you next week!
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I think the colors add something to the appeal of the recipe too as well as the display. Thanks for Pinning my recipes- I so appreciate you sharing them.

      Delete
  2. I love Caprese Salad! Yours looks mouth-watering. I also like the looks of the citrus water with mint. Fortunately, I managed to buy a potted mint plant this year (I container garden), so I plan to put it to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattie,
      Thank you . I love mint and used to have a big mint patch behind my house until some poison ivy decided to share the space- they both are vines and well that was the end of my mint

      Delete
  3. I love summer salads, but the two drinks really caught my eye -- I could have used both on my recent trip to Philadelphia. It was so hot and humid and cold, refreshing, fruity drink would have been perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so get it.. Last week was ridiculously hot and humid. The watermelon frosty would definitely have done the trick!!

      Delete
  4. A fresh Caprese is perfect on its own, or with BBQ, and those drinks just top everything off - so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia,
      I agree- the drinks are extra special and perfect for a hot summer's day BBQ or maybe July 4th weekend

      Delete
  5. Hi Judee,
    All of these look delicious and refreshing for a hot summers day! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miz Helen,
      I appreciate that you stop by each week to leave me a comment. Glad you like my appetizers

      Delete
  6. They all look so appetizing, refreshing and easy too...love that!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Thank you for stopping by to comment and for the opportunity to share my recipes on Amaze Me Monday.

      Delete
  7. Your Caprese salad looks fantastic. I absolutely love every one of those ingredients.
    Thanks for sharing at Waste Not Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Caprese salad lover too. It seems to be a perfect appetizer for any kind of party.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Judee!
    Your recipe in on The Top Ten for Full Plate Thursday this week! Thanks so much for sharing with us and enjoy your new Red Plate. Have a fantastic week and come back to see us soon.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miz Helen,
      I am so excited to be included with the top ten on Full Plate Thursday. It is one of my favorite blog carnivals and I look forward to it every week. Thanks so much for the opportunity to link my recipes

      Delete
  9. Avocado is a great substitution for cheese in a caprese salad. I'm inspired even though I'm not a vegan. I like to have suggestions for my vegan friends.
    Thank you,
    Tracey @ MyBajaKitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect for summer! So appetizing, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These recipes all look great. I need to eat more salad! Yum. Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to make platters of salad like yours. Today I made chopped tomatoes with herbs and garlic and olive oil which will be put on bread -- but similar in spirit to caprese.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, they all look good. I will have to try the seltzer, I need more beverages in our own hot weather here...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks refreshing and delicious! Composed salads are one of my favorite summer meals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tomatoes always look so summery!

    I will have to pass on the melon though. Not really a fan!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly