Monday, June 19, 2017

Sprouted Lentil Salad


beautiful salad with lentil sprouts instead of lettuce

Are you tired of washing and drying and cutting lettuce for your salads?  
Are you trying to boost your nutrients without adding carbs, calories, or sugar? 

beautiful colorful summer vegetables i



Sprouts offer a powerhouse of nutrients and are easy to make. 

I used Lentil Sprouts for this Salad

I sprouted my lentils 2 days in advance

 Lentil sprouts which are crunchy, juicy, pleasing to eat,
and will blend well with just about any kind of salad veggies .

 How do they taste? They are mild, delicious, and satisfying.

In a previous post I showed you  how to make lentils sprouts easily in a jar on your kitchen counter or of course you can buy fresh sprouts in the refrigerator section of most supermarkets. 

I am now sharing  another delicious and highly nutritious way to use those delicious sprouts. 

Substitute Sprouted Lentils for Lettuce

  • Using sprouts to replace lettuce gives you greater variety in your salads 
  • a break from having to wash , dry and cut  the lettuce. 
  • Sprouts are made fresh so you get optimum nutrient value
  • Sprouts are very easy to make 
  • Making your own sprouts is a fun project for kids

This salad is so tasty, I would make this for company without hesitation. It is also naturally gluten free, making it a great salad to bring to a BBQ or other summer gathering.



Making your own sprouts is so easy that once you start sprouting lentils, you will wonder why you never did it before. 

Sprouts Provide Significant Vitamin C
Did you know that years back sailors on long voyages often depended on getting their vitamin C  from spouts!


When I made this salad, I simply added the vegetables to the salad that I already had in the house:

sliced red peppers, cucumbers, and carrots


Persian cucumber, yellow cherry tomatoes, radish, red onion, and fresh chopped dill and mixed them together with my crunchy lentil sprouts that I had made 2 days prior.


delicious summer vegetables mixed into a sprouted lentil salad

Below is my recipe for this colorful healthy lentil sprout salad that is one of my favorite salads. It offers a nice diversion from the typical lettuce salad but is still crunchy, light, and tasty.

summer sprouted lentil salad

In case you missed how to sprout: How to sprout lentils

Why Sprouts Are a Superfood?

Lentil sprouts are extremely easy to make, healthy, rich in enzymes, vitamins, and minerals and can be used in a multitude of recipes. Sprouts are a living growing plant and only living food can provide us with enzymes needed for proper digestion.

You could sprout almost any bean or seed, but I like lentil sprouts.

Author:Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: none
Serves: 4 regular or 2 hearty eaters

Ingredients: 
2 cup of lentil sprouts
1 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 cut up sliced large red and or yellow pepper 
1/2 cup of diced red onion ( or more if you LOVE it like we do) 
1/4 cup of green scallions, sliced
2 radishes, diced
1/4 cup of chopped dill
Salt and cracked pepper to taste

Directions: 
Assemble all of the ingredients ( lentils, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, red onion, radishes, scallions) in a large bowl . Toss and serve with or without the dressing. 

Dressing:
I like to eat my salad plain, but you can try yours with Italian dressing or a light dressing of olive oil and fresh lemon juice.  

Shared on Hearth and Soul Blog Party

Peeling Vegetables: 
I used to struggle, but I found that it's all in the right tool. I found a simple inexpensive peeler that slips the skin off  easily and fast taking out the struggle. I recommend
OXO Good Grips Y Peeler It's the best one I found. 

Sharing on Souper Sunday 
  and Full Plate Thursday  and Hearth and Soul 

sprouted lentil salad for extra nutrients



SouperSundays

12 comments:

  1. I have never heard of sprouting lentils. Cool! I use lentils in soup or cook them plain and eat them with rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they taste the best of all sprouts- nice and crunchy and juicy

      Delete
    2. Great salad and enjoyed it and healthy too

      Delete
  2. I love sprouts, but have never tried sprouting lentils at home. I will check out your how-to post and give it a whirl! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison,
      I think you will find it very easy.. If you have questions when you make them just ask!!

      Delete
  3. Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM tired of washing lettuce. I love sprouts, but lentils never occurred to me. What a great idea, and the Salad is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattie,
      So many people say they never tasted lentil sprouts. Truthfully, they sell them now in most supermarkets but they are so easy and so economical to make that I prefer my own fresh ones.
      I really do get tired of washing and its the drying of lettuce that I really don't like

      Delete
  4. I've never used lentil sprouts but that salad looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how easy they are yet not so many people buy or make them. Give it a try - I think you will like it

      Delete
  5. I pinned your awesome salad and can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miz Helen,
      Thank you so much for pinning my salad. I really appreciate it and thanks for hosting Full Plate Thursday each week. I get some great ideas and recipes.

      Delete
  6. This salad looks delicious. I haven't sprouted lentils in ages but you make me want to get out my jar! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly