Monday, August 20, 2012

Why I Eat Chia Seeds Everyday


chia seeds for chia pudding
chia seeds

I don't usually eat weird food ( ok , I admit sometimes I do ) 
I've known for a long time that chia seeds are good for you, but I never realized how good for you. These powerful little seeds are nature's wonders , and  can really be a very easy addition to your diet.

You can buy chia seeds in any health food store or online  Chia seeds

I  was visiting  The Wellness Warrior  where I read a post called 13 Awesome reasons to eat Chia seeds.

Chia seeds are true health providers: high in fiber,  nutrients, antioxidants (beats out the blueberry)and Omega 3's ( 8 times as much Omega 3 as in salmon). In addition, chia seeds have a positive impact on helping maintain balanced blood sugar levels .

I especially think that reasons # 3, # 7 and # 12 could help everyone! Chia seeds are tasteless, so they are especially easy to add to foods , especially to boost the nutritional content for kids who tend to eat a lot of fast food !!

Do you ever get those little white bumpy pimples on the back of the arms or legs, the omega 3 in chia might help!


Chia seeds are not new; they have been around for a very long time. According to Wiki
"Salvia hispanica, commonly known as chia, is a species of flowering plant in the mintfamily, Lamiaceae, native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala. Chia seeds have always been part of their diets!
Pin It

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor; this blog is for educational information only. Please check with your doctor before making any changes in your diet.

Here are  The Wellness Warriors 13  reasons:
1. These seeds are gluten free
2. They are extremely high in dietary fiber, helping digestion and healing digestion issues.
3. It is high in Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Can you believe that Chia seeds have eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
4. 20% of chia seeds are protein
5. The makeup of the protein is a complete protein that includes all 8 of the essential amino acids
6. Has a very high  antioxidant level  (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
7. Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
8. Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
9. It contains three times more iron than spinach
10. It contains twice the potassium content of banana
11. It is food that helps healthy skin, hair and nails
12. It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels 
13. Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.

How do you eat chia seeds?
Chia seeds are tiny little seeds that when placed in liquids will create a gel like substance.  It makes a great pudding, it can be added to cereal or oatmeal, or added to a smoothie. I add them to my cooked oatmeal and then add some coconut milk as well. ( they do well in liquid)Actually, chia seeds do not have much of a taste so they can be added to anything. Soak them in a little water to allow them to expand. Add them after cooking to retain the nutrients.


how to make chia pudding
chia pudding
Chia Pudding
1/2 cup coconut milk ( or any milk of choice)
2 Tbsp chia seeds 
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon cinnamon or cocoa 
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional) ( I didn't add sweeteners)
optional addition: 
1/4 cup dry gluten free oats + 1/2 cup more coconut milk ( optional if you want it as a breakfast treat!) 
1/2 cup blueberries or any chopped fruit
Directions: 
Mix all ingredients, cover and wait about 1 hour refridgerated before eating or cover and refrigerate overnight.

Like Pudding try this fast and easy healthy recipe 
Best and Easiest healthy chocolate pudding you will ever eat- 
avocado chocolate pudding

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor and do not make any medical claims for chia seeds. This information is for educational purposes only.  Please consult your doctor before adding any foods or making any changes to your diet.

Chia seeds can be bought in most health food stores, Whole Foods store, or ordered easily  and maybe less expensive on Amazon  Chia seeds
Like this recipe Pin It for later 



If you like this post,  

please share it with your Pinterest followers 2K+ 



This post will  be shared  on


 These Daily blog carnivals 



Learn ways to lose and maintain your weight, balance blood sugar, detox to rid toxins, and feel great .If you are new to my blog and would like to be notified when I post a new recipe, please enter your email. Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and I do receive a small compensation if you make a purchase on Amazon through my blog. I appreciate the support to cover the expenses of running a blog.

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

55 comments:

  1. I definitely want to try that pudding. Where can you buy Chia seeds?
    Thanks,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy chia seeds in any health food store or on Amazon. I have a link on my post.

      Delete
  2. I just bought some chia seeds and can't wait to use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chia seed breakfast pudding recipe is really good.

      Delete
  3. I just bought chia seeds yesterday - I have never tried them before. I can't wait to make something with them. I knew they were good for you - but had no idea just how healthy they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter made me some oatmeal with chia seeds last week when I was visiting at her house and I loved it, but had no idea that it was so healthy! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita,
      It's amazing how much we learn from our kids! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I always learn something when I come here. But I have to admit that cha-cha-cha-chia jingle is stuck in my head ;-)
    Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use chia seeds in my smoothies. I also sprinkle them on my cereal,when I fix Quinoa I sprinkle some on it with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE chia seeds! I have them in my morning smoothie and they give me a boost to make it through my day. Didn't even know about all the other benefits that you listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing isn't it? Those little seeds pack alot of punch

      Delete
  8. we love chia! I add them to almost every single thing I bake, and to smoothies. I have never tried the chia pudding, though. your recipe sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like the chia pudding. It's so fast and easy to make.

      Delete
  9. I love chia seeds! And I always love reading about their health benefits - there's always something I've forgotten about. I've been forgetting to add them to my smoothies lately - I have to start again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,
      It's funny how easy it is to forget. It happens to me if I run out of something and before you know it, I can forget to buy it again. Now that I know about the Omega 3's in Chia, it's a staple for me.

      Delete
  10. I use the ground chia seeds and put it in my yogurt. I will definitely try this pudding recipe. I found you on Not Just a Housewife and I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa,
      Thanks for following and I will be over to check out your blog too. Grinding the seeds sounds like a good idea; they are probably more digestible. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  11. Hi! Here from Above Rubbies Domestically Divine Linky Tuesday.
    I love Chea Seeds, I use mine with my oatmeal but I might start to use them with my protein powder fruit smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina,
      It really is amazing how many ways we can eat chia seeds! They can make smoothies even healthier and it's so easy. So glad you stopped by and left a comment.

      Delete
  12. I adore chia - I even added them to breakfast cookies for extra protein!
    Blessings
    http://bit.ly/O1mA7P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out your breakfast cookies; they look amazing and are really good healthy breakfast for kids ( or adults) ! I pinned them and sent the recipe to my daughter in law.

      Delete
  13. You've convinced me to try them, that's for sure! I'll look at my local co-op first...thanks!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you will be disappointed. You can make puddings, add to smoothies, or baked goods. Enjoy

      Delete
  14. Liberty, I love that idea boosting the nutritional value of the cookies and especially good for the kids ( and adults) who eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chia seeds are, indeed, a super food! I haven't incorporated them as much as I should; but that pudding is certainly luring me into it ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I started to use Chia seeds a year ago after major leg surgery my doctor is the one who told me about them. He said they help with pain and recovery since they are so high in proteins. I have take daily now and often just take a spoon full pop them in my mouth with water and swallow when they get sort of jelly like...my dear hubby thinks it gross but its quick and easy to do each morning. I also add them to foods but need to be sure I get them daily and enough so it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting. It's amazing how versatile they are. Thanks for sharing your experience with chia seeds

      Delete
  17. Thanks for sharing this info. I will have to add these to our diet. Both of my husband's parents are diabetic and I could use the extra calcium, and all the other benefits certainly won't hurt us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing all the benefits of these seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUM! Chia pudding! I'd love to have you link up with us! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-fridays-recipe-party-2/
    Also be sure to link up your blog on our Gluten Free Bloggers directory. You can reach the directory by clicking the "glutenfree bloggers" tab on our blog! Thanks, Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew chia seeds were awesome, but I had no idea they were THIS awesome. I didn't know about the iron and calcium and blood sugar regulation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Judee, I've got a bag of chia seeds I bought at the recommendation of a friend. Thanks for reminding me to pull those out and work them into my daily diet. I haven't had any for a while because they are so different from anything else I eat...I'm going to have to form a habit. They are too healthy to miss out on!

    I'm so sorry Food on Fridays was unavailable last week. I was locked out of my blog and unable to get in and publish anything at all. But thanks to my new tech support, it's live now, if you would like to join up this week. No pressure. I just wanted you to know.

    Have a healthy week!
    Ann Kroeker

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really? I have never heard of Chia seeds before. But I am in! All of those health benefits, fiber, glucose regulator and more. I am going to get some ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never tried these. I've had flax seeds.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  25. I havent tried these yet but I am going to look for them when I go to the health food store after this tropical storm passes by here in Florida. So glad you posted this. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting. My first reaction was...blech, chia seeds? lol, but looking at the ingredients, I think I might actually enjoy this pudding. Thanks for linking on Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I add chia seeds to my oatmeal each morning. I also use them in baking in place of poppy seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I pinned and tweeted this post as well! Happy to have you on Gluten Free Fridays :) Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have never heard of chia seeds! This sounds fantastic! I'll look into it! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  31. We just bought chia seeds from trader joe's because we knew we should be eating them, but didn't really know how! Thank you for sharing with us at Gluten Free Fridays, I'm so happy I now have a great resource for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy to use. I hope you will find some ways that you can incorporate them into your diet

      Delete
  32. Chia seeds reduce food cravings, help you stay hydrated, lower blood pressure & are rich in Omega-3.

    It's great with oatmeal. You should try it guys..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding the extra benefits.. They seem to be amazing seeds.

      Delete
  33. Ever since I gave up eating Gluten, I have gotten really into eating Chia seeds. Thank you so much for this information, and these recipes look delicious. I found a great recipe for a chia pudding a couple of days ago, and I really want to try out some of these http://getchia.com/chia-drinks-mixes

    ReplyDelete
  34. great tips Thank you for this information. It is really informative and helpful for the people. Chia Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  35. Recently I have read about a magical ingredient that is chia seeds. Yes, do not get surprised. Chia seeds are really good for your health and they provide you all the necessary benefits that you require for staying healthy and fit. Benefits of chia seeds also include maintaining a healthy weight and reducing your excess weight. So, give a try to chia seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Is it ok to consume chia seeds on a daily basis? I know chia seeds contains huge content of fibers and this could be too much for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dima,
      You would need to check with your medical doctor- Every person is different

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly