Sunday, June 11, 2017

Vegan and Gluten Free CSA Recipes

This is my second CSA produce week of this farm season. I'm sharing gluten free and vegan recipes that you can make from your CSA produce this week. With the warmer weather upon us, the farm produce is flourishing. 



 I am a half share member which means I pick up or pick produce every other week. I found that every week was too much for just the two of us, especially in the spring when the haul is mostly salad and greens. ( what is a CSA

What did I get this week?  
  • Four different types of lettuces
  • 2 different varieties of kale 
  • Turnips
  • Kohlrabi 
  • Strawberries ( pick your own) 
  • Snow peas ( pick your own)
  • Fresh young dill 
  • Fresh cilantro 

 I also picked additional herbs from the herb garden



  • Lavender
  • Sage
  • Sorrel
  • Mint
  • Parsley
  • Chamomile 
  • Basil 
  • Catnip

Anchor Run Farm is located in Wrightstown, Pa in Bucks County
There are CSA farms in most states all across the USA

Belonging to a CSA gives us the opportunity to eat organic, local, freshly picked produce. 

I love visiting the farm and being in such a serene beautiful stretch of nature with interesting birds, butterflies, wildlife and flowers. 




The produce is sometimes very different from produce that I find in the supermarket or produce that I would not know to choose in the market. It encourages me to try a greater variety of vegetables and brings some interesting recipes to our table. 

How did I use my produce this week? 

All recipes are gluten free and vegan which also means they are dairy free and Parve.  

Kohlrabi- this vegetable can be a substitute in soup for potato and is lower in carbs. 

The peel can be tough to remove on kohlrabi, so you need a really good peeler. I have an inexpensive peeler that works better than any I've ever had. It makes my life easier and I recommend it . You can see it on Amazon. OXO Good Grips Y Peeler 



I use this 
OXO Good Grips Y Peeler and the peels slide off quickly and with ease. It's the best one I found. 



Last spring I made a delicious and easy kohlrabi and red lentil soup - prior to that I had never tasted kohlrabi. This year I'm making a grated kohlrabi salad. 

Turnips 

How to cook turnips so they taste good (and recipes) 


Kale: 

I don't think I have to tell you how healthy kale is for the body. This super green cleanses toxins, restores, and rejuvenates. It's a powerhouse of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. 
I like to find a way to eat a healthy greens like kale at least 4 times a week if not daily. 

There are many ways and reasons to eat your kale: 

Snow peas- 

The snow peas were sweet and crunchy. 
We snacked on them raw with a delicious dip. I also cut them up into our salad

These are some of the health giving dips we eat with raw veggies

Dill 
I added fresh dill to my crock pot soup broth which yielded 4 generous quarts of homemade soup broth. 



Cilantro-
Cilantro is an herb that you either like or you don't like. There is actually a genetic reason that some people have a very strong aversion to the flavorful herb. If you have that gene, cilantro will taste like soap to you. Personally, I love it and can't get enough of it. 




Here is a variety of ethnic recipes where I use cilantro:

Strawberries
We ate many of our strawberries as soon as we picked them when they were fresh off the vine, sweet, and juicy. The rest I brought home and prepped them for freezing which all I did was wash, dry, cut in half, freeze in a freezer baggy. 



We will use the frozen strawberries for vegan strawberry ice cream. 
This post was featured on shared on Hearth and Soul blog party  this week

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon. If you click from my blog and then make a purchase, I will receive a ver4y small compensation which helps me defray the cost of running a blog. 

4 comments:

  1. It can be challenging to use all the veggies from a CSA or organic vegetable box but you've really provided some great inspiration and recipes here, Judee! Sharing later today on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page. Thank you so much for being part of Hearth and Soul. Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April,
      You are so right. Using all the veggies from the CSA is a challenge.. but it kind of forces you to try new things and eat your veggies

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Judy! Just popping back to say I've featured this post at Hearth and Soul this week. Thank you again for sharing, and for being a part of Hearth and Soul.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for the feature and opportunity to share my posts

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly